A limiter...help!... i need your help...Houston!... i have a problem! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2007, 11:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A limiter...help!... i need your help...Houston!... i have a problem!

You can be the one will help me a lot.

The problem:

My daugther use Satelite receiver all day long... she is a teenager... and together the bubble gum she stay all day long in front of the television.... home teather switched on and five speakers pumping loud sound.... i told her the limit...but!...there's a technical problem my television set volume limiters could not face.

When advertising enters, between program parts, breaks.... the volume is increased by the Satelite Systems Television provider in many decibels.... so.... the damn thing start to scream very loud... also the equalization goes to midranges where our ears are sensitive...man!...this bothers a lot!

The solution i am searching for:

Line level amplifier with limiter... transistors, discrete one, not sophisticated, not using Integrated circuits, Field Effect transistors, schmidt triggers, thresholders, companders, compressor or something expensive and Broadcasting quality.... negative about that...i want simple limiter... clipping with diodes, with NFB... will transistor operating as variable resistance into the input, draining signal to ground...well...i want to keep those peaks controled...cutted... held into some maximum presetable...

But please folks...simple...no 15 transistors, many stages with references, comparators, and so on...i need simple, to DIY..dirty thing operated with batteries.... small thing to help me

The one that offer me a good circuit will be called my dear Santa Klaus.

The solution:

A circuit... a sketch...not ideas...something ready to go..,or ready to test..or ready to simulate...or already tested.... simple!

Your attention with me.... please.... loose some minutes to help me folks!

regards,

Carlos
Old 7th December 2007, 11:41 AM   #2
mitch90 is offline mitch90  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello.

This should work.

Regards,

MITCH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voltage_limiter.jpg (19.6 KB, 310 views)
Old 7th December 2007, 11:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Nice Mitch.... thank you.... can you suggest a transistorized circuit to do this work

Not an integrated circuit, or not using double simetrical supply.

Something even more simple...can you?

I thank you by the nice idea...but i will try, if possible, to avoid chips.... i do not like them..... do not ask me why.... have not empathy to them.

I know the symbol means amplifier stage....so...not a really chip...but chip amps have nice gain and usually are drawed also this way

The symetrical supply makes me think the chip will work better in this way...also the gain controled clipped with the diode.

I would be MORE happy with transistors.... 3 or 4 to each channel and a 9 volts battery feeding energy to them..only one battery.

Of course.... if i could not find a more simple idea...your idea is accepted to try...seems very good...thank you very much my friend.

regards,

Carlos
Old 7th December 2007, 11:54 AM   #4
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

How about setting sensitivity to about equal what a diode can manage, and then put a diode across the input...
Old 7th December 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default This works dear Nordic.... two diodes opposite direction...clipping to 0.6 volts

But distorts a lot when operating.... so.... i will be bothered by excess of distortion in the place to be bothered by the increasing of volume.

I hope people can suggest something a little bit better in audio quality result.

thank you dear Nordic.... i am glad you runned to help me dear Nephew.

thank you by your effort into Dx amplifier group buy.

Congratulations

regards,

Uncle Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg she is here.jpg (15.7 KB, 250 views)
Old 7th December 2007, 12:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Hey Nordic... send me some wind from South Africa!

It is a hell hot here.... i will have medicines to reduce blood pressure.... temperature is going to 33 degrees centigrades into this moment.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg time to have a blood pressure controller.jpg (18.6 KB, 242 views)
Old 7th December 2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Donk is offline Donk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlos,

Check this out!
http://www.pira.cz/enlter.htm
Nice simple and cheap design - with PCB published! Two transistors, one IC, and a few capacitors and resistors.
I already built for a VHF (CCIR-FM) broadcast transmitter - works just fine.
Do not forget to bypass R1/C2 with a wire.

Best regards,
Old 7th December 2007, 12:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default This one is very good Donk.... i like it..will search for the chip...the main problem

But the circuit matches perfectly.

Hummmm...VHF.... i have worked fixing VHF transceivers man...we are buddies about that...fellow!

73/51 if you are a ham.

thank you very much.

Already searching for more simple diagram...not finding something without the chip and the fet, your suggested unit is the elected for a while.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartão radio amador 2.jpg (16.9 KB, 253 views)
Old 7th December 2007, 12:48 PM   #9
gni is offline gni  United States
diyAudio Member

Terk VR-1 TV Volume Regulator

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=180-330
Old 7th December 2007, 12:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default I want to do it by myself... i have many parts, good soldering iron, good glasses

and i love to do those things.

To import gods...with prices in dollar is extremelly hard and expensive to my pocket and bureaucraty system.

I want schematic to produce.

Thank you by the informs dear GNI...but the schematic would be much more usefull to me.

I thank you by your kindness to answer me, and by your attention.

regards,

Carlos

Hide this!Advertise here!