Burmester 785 preamp fun :-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yesterday I finally got round to replacing the worn out stepped attenuator in my old Burmester 785, and decided to replace the few electrolytic caps at the same time.

The new stepped attenuator was a 10Kohm series SMD device, in place of the old 10Kohm series discrete attenuator. This has removed all of the scratchy noise I used to hear when changing volume.

There were only 4 PSU electrolytics and I reasoned that these must need swapped out (the preamp is 18 years old). I have tons of Sikorel 125 axial caps which were ideal.

All other caps are film/foil or metalized film so these should not have degraded over time.

I hadn't used this preamp for a couple of years, as I'd found that I got better results with a passive. When I put the Burmester back into my system I was amazed at how much richer it sounded, without any apparent loss of detail.

I'm now wondering whether the old electrolytic caps were ruining the performance of this preamp when I last auditioned it (2 years ago).

Anyway, I'm more than happy with it now!

Anyone else used the 785 or 'resurrected' a similar vintage preamp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.