FET audio amplifier - the best amplifer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to every people.

Present most simple still more good audio amplifier with MOSFET.
Power on loads of 4 Ohmi is about 180W, +/-55Vdc. The amplifier feels up to a power of as far as 300W in to 4 Ohmi with +/-70Vdc if I done next substitutions:
BC640 = 2N5401 (atention for pin C, B, E transitors 2N5401, Isn't identically with transistor BC640);
BC639 = MPSA42.

MJE350 is willed mounted heat-sink.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• amplficator audio cu mosfet.pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,641
but the PCB design sure is nice.
Thanks man.
Not sure about "the best amplifer" and "The best electronics designer in the world" stuff. I hope I'm mis-reading that.
taj, don't know me, but isn't PCB that l achieved it. I do the specification as the my occupation is of electric engineer and I projected and builded the all my in activity of by now many audio system. These amplifier is most he succeeds and most healthy; presenting a minimum of electronic component for obtain the good more performance.

I present hereinafter for the people interested, one of the most good input circuit for audio professional amplifiers design by me.
audio circuit input amplifier.pdf - 0.18MB

Apologize for the englishman but expect the saddle apprehends me.

Guys, the schematic is like the "Maplin mosfet amp kit" (~ Toshiba appnote circuit) but with more outputs.

Anyway, Donpetru's circuit is bad! IRFP vertical hexfets without thermal coupled bias circuit? Crazy idea.
The circuit would work right only with lateral mosfets (like 2sk1058/2sj162, etc...)

Cheers

Anyway, Donpetru's circuit is bad! IRFP vertical hexfets without thermal coupled bias circuit? Crazy idea.

The thermal coupled bias circuits is need (indispensable) when temperature heatsink is more (1.5-2)*Tamb, Tamb=25-30 grad Celsius. As a matter of fact this he is an important condition then when makes this amplifier. This one is transliterated certain the minimum value coefficient heatsink (gradCelsius per watt).
In in addition, to the amplifiers with MOSFET transitors is not obligatory use bias circuit as the to one with bipolar transitors if respected condition.
Diagram thereto did PCB audio amplifier is one diagram precinct 20 years slow and work very good. I admit as isn't a perfect diagram gift but is a good amplifier for made in the regime DIY.

There is much room for improvement in this amplifier.

D2, D3 should have 1N4148 type diodes in series with them to prevent the non-linearity of their junction capacitance from affecting the performance, virtually all commercial designs have these diodes.

The ground trace between C5 and C8 needs to be cut and a 10R resistor installed. High current and low current grounds must be kept isolated, then run back to the central ground (at the transformer and filter caps).

One end of R7 should be lifted and a wire run over to RL.

Bias is not temperature compensated for the Hexfets employed.

Poor supply isolation (none) for the current source resistor for T1, T2.

Looks like T4 will get just as hot as T5.

Looks like T4 will get just as hot as T5.
djk, will cozen, because don't you made it practice.
The ground trace between C5 and C8 needs to be cut and a 10R resistor installed. High current and low current grounds must be kept isolated, then run back to the central ground (at the transformer and filter caps).
Isn't obligatory his he cut trace between C5 and C8. I made this amplifier practical above ten either and operates very well.
One end of R7 should be lifted and a wire run over to RL.
Isn't obligatory condition. Function ok and like this.
Poor supply isolation (none) for the current source resistor for T1, T2.
Isn't an impediment an absence a sources of current constant T1 and T2, if power supply amplifier is correct design. Many amateurs don't know this thing.
D2, D3 should have 1N4148 type diodes in series with them to prevent the non-linearity of their junction capacitance from affecting the performance, virtually all commercial designs have these diodes.
He accepts your observation in order for is true but don't very obligatory.
The diagram amplifier is diagram knowed, merely thus design that with a minimum electronic component (most important in diagram) saddle is obtained most good performance.

Beranek's Law
It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker (amplifier) sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker (amplifier).In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker (amplifier)seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.

L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If R7 on P.C.B. is the feedback resistor it should be taken from a short P.C.B. track, then on to the output.You are worsening distortion by perhaps factor of 10 or 20.If RL is output inductor take it to the top end of there.
Regards Karl

"djk, the quotation bringed in the under discussion is fill of subjectivism."

Quite the opposite.

I was trying to be polite when I said:

"There is much room for improvement in this amplifier."

In fact I would never consider building it without those changes (which amount to less than $1). The amp will be more reliable, measure better, and sound better.

I have no doubt your circuit may work for you, buy why shouldn't obvious low cost improvements be made?

That's why this forum exists.

Without criticising Donpetru, who is trying very hard to communicate in a foreign tongue, there were moments in my almost rabid hysteria when I thought I was reading poetry from Douglas Adams.......:joker: :joker: :joker:

I suspect Taj feels the same way. Please, Donpetru, keep it up, you are truly a comic genius. I only wish I could speak your language, however, and I thank you and respect your efforts, shameless gipsy or not......

Cheers,

Hugh

Status
Not open for further replies.