buffered preamp power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I want to add a buffer to my passive preamp, so that it can drive almost any power amp. I have found a design that uses the OPA627 on this page , and would like to build it. For the power supply, I came up with the attached design. Because I've never build a preamp PSU before, any comments are welcome.

I haven't figured out the values for the resistors yet. The 4u7 caps are tantalum (I have a bunch of those). Also, I would probably add one last small elcap and some small MKT's near the opamp. All diodes are 1N4001s.

Attachments

• preamp_psu.gif
    preamp_psu.gif
    83.2 KB · Views: 444
The second article mentions that all the PSU electronics are for one channel only. For stereo, everything after the transformer is doubled. Isn't this overkill?

The reason I'm asking is that I would like to build the entire PSU in one enclosure, and the source select/volume/buffer electronics in another, so that both channels would be fed off the same PSU.

Thanks for the link. I've updated the design to incorporate some of the changes. I think it's starting to look a bit like Rod's project 5B :).

I've also come across some topics mentioning opinions on the OPA627 and other opamps, and their specific "sound". What I liked about the passive preamp was that it didn't have a sound of its own, and I would very much like to preserve as much of that quality as possible, while going active. But I am a bit unsure which opamp to use. Some described the OPA627 as sounding "dark".

Attachments

• preamp_psu_v2.gif
    preamp_psu_v2.gif
    93.4 KB · Views: 330
Hi,
opamps tend to perform better with very low noise power supplies.
This is particularly valid for pre-amps which have to work with low level signals.
You could look at discrete Vregs for the 627. Maybe even a CCS with shunt regulator. GK is running a thread on this now.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
opamps tend to perform better with very low noise power supplies.
This is particularly valid for pre-amps which have to work with low level signals.
You could look at discrete Vregs for the 627. Maybe even a CCS with shunt regulator. GK is running a thread on this now.

Ok, but how much is "enough"? Aren't regulators like LM317s widely used in preamps, even more expensive ones? Btw, who is GK? :)

Regarding opamps, I have read good things about the OPA2134. It's also less expensive than the OPA627, so I think I'm ging with OPA2134.

The 317/337 pairs should be just fine. These regulators are underestimated, especially when the adjust pin is bypassed with an appropriate capacitor.

Personally, I think it's only worth going for a very low noise supply (the Jung regulator and such) when you are dealing with very small signals, eg the output of a DAC, or a phono preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.