AC SMPSU filter in use with linear PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!
I have an idea!
i dont know if it is right.can i use this ac filter with my linear psu
it came from a big SMPSU(server type).
I beleive it can hold many amps.If its ok to use it,then it will has
negative or positive effects on the linear psu of the amp.:scratch:

regards
nikos

Attachments

• hpim0045.jpg
    hpim0045.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 204
This is a good idea -- i.e using a power line filter in the same position for a linear supply. It will basically kill noise being fed back into the power grid (and to other components) which is the intended function + reduce noise from the power grid as well.

I note from the picture that there is a heatsink on the right. It would be instructive to find out what type of component is there since you should typically only put passives in such a device. If there are active devices, you may have a PFC circuit or something like that which you don't want for sure!

Typically, common mode filters have a very positive effect. Whether series mode filters have good or bad effect is probably open to interpretation. I use som bad Corcom filters that help the sound a lot, and they have both modes of attenuation.

Petter

Peter, thanks for your reply,
i will use it and see what happens!!!!!!!!!!

regarding your observation about the device under the heatsink
on the right of the pcb, you are 100% right.
It is a bridge rectifier it takes 220v ac and reverce it to dc voltage(380dc).
I have to pull it out of there and use the rest of the filter.!!

Waiting for any other suggestions you may have

regards
Nikos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.