diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   This will be a great sound system (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/11271-will-great-sound-system.html)

TomJ 17th February 2003 03:38 PM

This will be a great sound system

I am planning to Build rod eliots projects 3A(60W-100w amplifier),88(preamplifier),09(linkwitz riley crossover). Will these projects work well together. I am going to use the amp for 60W amplification which i will have bi-amped.

Does any one who has built these projects have an tips or had any problems with them. This will be me first time building an amp,preamp,crossover they all look fairly straitforward I have access to a etching tank and some realy good software for making artwork.

How much is this whole lot likly to Cost.:scratch:

JBL 17th February 2003 04:55 PM

IMO they will fit perfectly togheter. I've built the active crossover and it worked very well the first time. Use good quality cap in it or else it will not work as expected.

Since your starting you should start by the simplest one first.

For the cost this is hard to estimate. depend on what you have on hand and the deal you can get.

TomJ 17th February 2003 08:03 PM

How much did it cost you:confused:.

There are two places were I can get the the stuff, maplins and or this little shop that is sells electronics +they can give you good advice on which parts are best and are honest.

JBL 17th February 2003 08:06 PM

Hmm not muxh but I was already having the component so...

Somewhat less than 20USD for the board only.

TomJ 19th February 2003 11:21 AM

I think I got it wrong when I said Bi-amped:ashamed:. I thought it meant were you have an amp for the left and right speakers rather than an amp for each speaker.

The more i think about it the more a think that doing this wouldn't be a bad idea:idea:. Are there any real addvantages in your eyes of doing this?.

Is it possible to run the ampes off a single power source?

fezz 19th February 2003 12:08 PM

please dont purchase all the components from maplins, they are oftern over priced. - for example a 300va transfermer costs 32 but from rapid eletronics it costs 19 and is better quality, for a rapid eldtronics cataloge plese phone 01206 751166 unfortunatly it will cost 4 but you will get the money back if you order stuff over 30.

i used them for almost everything since i found out about them

as for using two amplifiers from a single power sorce, yes you CAN do this, but many people belive seperate powersupplies (one for each amplfier) sounds better, and is more convinanit it you plan to put the ampliflers in sepertate boxes.

you will need to double the current produced by the powersupply in oder to power both ampiflers.

TomJ 19th February 2003 02:36 PM

Fezz do you know if There are any rapid electronics outlets in east anglia. I am a Bit reluctant to buy from mail order catolags since i have had a lot of trouble with them in the past.

Does rapid electronics have an online catolog of every thing or is it just a small amount of what they actually sell.

Thanks for telling me that they over charge.

JBL 19th February 2003 03:25 PM

Yup teir is alot of advandage to bi-amping. Difference is sound qality is very noticable especially on less than ideal system.

I reccomand rod'S article on bi-amping.

www.sound.au.com

got to the article section.

Nuuk 19th February 2003 05:23 PM

Rapid Electronics

Hi Fezz, do Rapid Electronics sell the exotic stuff like Black Gate caps?

Nuuk 19th February 2003 05:29 PM

Beginners guide to hi-fi DIY

Tom J, may I humbly suggest my site, Decibel Dungeon which should be of help to you in getting started on your project.