REALLY simple amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been searching for a really simple amplifier circuit that requires only transistors, resistors, and capacitors. I want this simplicity because I already have an assortment of those parts and want to build something without having to buy more parts. All I want to do is drive maybe 15 to 30W speakers from my PC's audio out. I've seen simple Class-A audio circuits that are simple, but none had part specifications or resistor values. I have 6V and 12V transformers I could use. Is it possible to build such an amplifier?

Yes it is possible (most things are given time and money) The "Class A " website run by Geoff Moss for the Linsley Hood amp' is exhaustive for the home builder, try Google. I f the tranformers are for the the power supply you won't get the power you mentioned......then again you probably really don't need that much anyway. This amp' (The John Linsley Hood design) has it's own very large thread on this site. Put "JLH 10 watt class A" in the search funtion and you'll get well over a thousand posts. I imagine there are other designs around too. The chip amp' people also are worth a look if you want to spend a small ammount for an IC and relatively simple design. Good luck and welcome to the site. Jonathan

CalcProgrammer1 said:
I've been searching for a really simple amplifier circuit that requires only transistors, resistors, and capacitors. I want this simplicity because I already have an assortment of those parts and want to build something without having to buy more parts. All I want to do is drive maybe 15 to 30W speakers from my PC's audio out. I've seen simple Class-A audio circuits that are simple, but none had part specifications or resistor values. I have 6V and 12V transformers I could use. Is it possible to build such an amplifier?

Do you want class A, can you manage the heat? 10 watt class A is a very big heatsink and maybe not what you are looking for on a PC. Considered Class AB? there are many designs around that will work with the transformers that you have.

Do you want such a circuit and how complex do you need?

Regards

Nico

I'm looking for simple. Basically, I have some bookshelf speakers rated at 15W to 30W. My old PC (an HP) has an amplified out port, and I can plug the speakers directly into the port and run them fairly loud. I highly doubt it's actually approaching anywhere near 30W (maybe 5 at most) but it sounds good. My new PC has only a line-out. I'm looking for something really simple, I found one that used only a few resistors and a transistor or two, but it didn't have a part list or even the resistor values.

At this point I'm not caring too much about power efficiency or even sound quality, I just want to try something out for fun. I'd like to eventually get it to power an old car speaker as a cheap subwoofer (the speaker in question: NOM. 18W, MAX 35W, 6 OHM) which sounded really good when I plugged it into my parents' stereo amplifier.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
CalcProgrammer1 said:

I want this simplicity because I already have an assortment of those parts and want to build something without having to buy more parts.

I have 6V and 12V transformers I could use. Is it possible to build such an amplifier?

Hi,
What are the parts you have? You'll need some fairly specific transistors to build an amp. You'll need a couple small signal types, a couple medium power types and a pair for output. Chances are you'll need to buy at least a few parts.
You might be better off with the chip amp solution (not nearly as fun though)

Transformers, you say 6V and 12V. Do you have one of each or more? Amps like split supplies.

Re: Re: REALLY simple amplifier?

MJL21193 said:

Hi,
What are the parts you have? You'll need some fairly specific transistors to build an amp. You'll need a couple small signal types, a couple medium power types and a pair for output. Chances are you'll need to buy at least a few parts.
You might be better off with the chip amp solution (not nearly as fun though)

Transformers, you say 6V and 12V. Do you have one of each or more? Amps like split supplies.

Those are the right questions to ask, John. Lets see what he has and then what we can do to help him.

Regards

Nico

DocLorren said:
Death of Zen by Rod Elliott.
I built it a few years ago. It is simple, sounds very good and gets HOT. What else do you want?

http://sound.westhost.com/project36.htm

Here is Rod's circuit with a twist using a MOSFET as to output device

Set X1 for 12V at output.

Attachments

• doz with a twist.jpg
    doz with a twist.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 542
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.