NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on Ebay - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2010, 06:34 PM   #571
diyAudio Member

Default It's alive!

Just "finished" the build of my NAP-140 clone. Still have some tidying-up to do, but it works just fine.
2 transformers 30-0-30 120 VA feeding 6x4700 mF + 1 mF film / channel all connected with 1,5 mm copper to the NAP-clones (hifidiy.net)
Preamp is a simple single op-amp design (OP-177) with 2x amplification and a seperate power supply (78/7915) connected to the NAP with very inexpensive wire and a downright cheap pot.
Speakers are connected via a turn-on delay, but I think I need to add a fuse in the ground-line.

Of course these things are never finished, but what would you advise as the next step to take? (sound-quality-wise)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NAP140 clone.jpg (112.6 KB, 1107 views)
Old 6th December 2010, 07:13 PM   #572
diyAudio Member

It looks good. I like the twin transformers. It should improve the bass. I would suggest a better pre-amp. There is actually a Naim nac 42.5 clone on ebay. Regards Barry
Old 6th December 2010, 09:31 PM   #573
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I keep seeing these referred to as NAP140 clones, when in fact they are clones (and not 100% accurate at that) of the Avondale NCC200 amp boards.

If you want to clone the NAP140 I suggest downloading every picture of the NAP140 or 180 circuit boards you can find on the net and a schematic and alter the necessary components on the Gigaworks boards. It's not too hard to do (I did it once though haven't got the relevant docs any longer alas, though could post photos of my boards) and does get you one step closer to that addictive Naim sound...

- John
Old 7th December 2010, 07:52 AM   #574
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnm View Post
I keep seeing these referred to as NAP140 clones, when in fact they are clones (and not 100% accurate at that) of the Avondale NCC200 amp boards.

- John
You are absolutely correct. It has been brought up a number of times in this thread. The amp I build is not a NAP-140 clone, but it is an amp that is reffered to as beeing a NAP-140 clone. So I thought that the name NAP-140 clone describes the amp I build close enough for most people here to understand. It is not my intention to build a "real" NAP-140 anyway. After this I will probably move on to a Pass-amp.
Old 16th January 2011, 03:25 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

Of course these things are never finished, but what would you advise as the next step to take? (sound-quality-wise)

I built almost identical amp (x 2), an active crossover(ESP) and the Starfish preamp.
I highly recommend the Starfish

Peter
Old 28th January 2011, 08:41 PM   #576
diyAudio Member

hi,
i finally got around to finishing my tubeshunter boards... they seem to be working properly with a low dc offset after swapping q1 q2 for a set of bc546b with a 10% mismatch in hfe... i am just finishing up a p2p B1 to go with it so i haven't done listening yet on anything but cheap test speaker..

My question is has anyone tried the output transistor decoupling mod mentioned as a noticeable improvement for naim amps at Modifying Naim Audio power amplifiers ?
Old 31st January 2011, 07:58 PM   #577
diyAudio Member

Hi, I want to use a speaker protection circuit. I found one on ebay.

Speaker Protection Module -- Stereo Type Two Channels - eBay (item 300515253360 end time Feb-13-11 13:07:33 PST)

What do you think about this module? Any suggestions for other?
Old 1st February 2011, 03:51 AM   #578
Ruwe is offline Ruwe  Europe
diyAudio Member

Voltera,
I'm using this one:
QKits Electronic Kits: K4700, Two Channel Speaker Protection Kit 220VAC

Flappytango,
I've tried the the output transistor decoupling and didn't like it. Nothing wrong looking with the scope, but the sound became dull and I removed it. There was a feeling of "too much" bass. A friend of mine reported the same.
I'm afraid though that we didn't do it properly - the return from the caps of each channel should be tied together and then with a single wire sent directly to the star ground. The way I did it was both caps connected together to the speaker GND output on the board.
May be you should try it, but IMO, this amp benefits more than anything else from wiring with heavier gauges and higher quality of the reservoir capacitors.

Regards
Old 1st February 2011, 09:50 AM   #579
diyAudio Member

Ruwe,
Thanks maybe ill skip it for now and wait untill i order some parts and give it a try then.

Volterra,
I am using this kit.
Speaker protection circuit stereo kit 30A protection ! - eBay (item 220725085071 end time Feb-13-11 07:21:18 PST)

It is inexspensive and seems to work, athough i cant guarantee the level of protection it gives. It has a long turn on delay time ~12 seconds. I might try to modify some component values to shorten the time. So it at least offers turn on dealy and speaker disconnect at power off.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:13 AM   #580
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Ruwe and Flappytango.

Hide this!Advertise here!