Amazing for DIY of NAPs

Attachments

• 36A96467-68A8-46B1-AF9D-D47A8AAE5D62.jpeg
    36A96467-68A8-46B1-AF9D-D47A8AAE5D62.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's a challenge.....Marketing of re-issued 1970s design products like the original NAP series, would be very risky business in any country. Even Naim now have to produce a wide range of products, from showpieces like the Statement to integrated audio systems like the Uniti-Atom, in order to attract today's audio enthusiasts.
If you also want to supply your local market, surely it would be much better to communicate, deal and start up with a local manufacturer.

I don't know how large the market is for audiophile quality in the home. Over the decades it has suffered the inevitable tradeoff of quality for convenience. Mediocrity for the masses. Having physical space for hifi is a limitation for younger generations too.
But there will always be a small market of wealthy people who just want the best (what they are told is the best).

Hi...
I wonder why the Naim Clones are so big with their PCB's. In the early years, same as in the Mini Crescendo in the Elektor Magazine, i can understand the reason why.
The components were bigger, layout programs very expensive. Talking about the eighties.
All copies offered from the chinese shops now a days are not 100% copies, i think. At some places on the pcb they take other componets or change them.
Has anybody exept LJM decided to make new, smaller pcb ? I must say... i dont read all the threads on 228 pages.
Is there a reason i dont know for bigger pcb's as for smaller ones ?
LJM has designed a Nap 250 Mod....very small and not my amp. Forget about it in my opinion....as i build it, it had only a flat response..loveless
But it seems to be possible to draw a new layout with KiCad....

Greetings
Peter

Just a try. The nap clones dont need much cooling, but a big housing to bulid them in, because of their oversized pcb's.
Month ago i discovered KiCad for using. I am not an expert, but i can design pcb's for my own amps, if i can get a correct schematic.
I have to think it over...
A shoobox amp is a nice idea...

@mdardeniz
In my opinion an amp has to sound very well on every preamp, if the preamp is very good too. May be the nap 250 mod is to special.
Other amps of mine are playing with the same pre very good...

Greetings
Peter

I remember that without preamp sound was not good

Thats my experience too. Perhaps i have misunderstood your stament...you wrote "LJM's Nap250 mod with nac42 preamp is not too bad"
Then only the preamp makes something to let it sound better... interesting...
I am interested in a nac preamp. Especially in the nac 52...but at first i will try to build the apex p30ZF pre...
Have to wait for the delivery of cbb capacitors, i orderd at aliexpress...on their way...

Have a nice day

Peter