HEXFET amp - please help me fix it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this layout posted by alex mm and the master-stage amplifier Legend MK2 has the power of a 500w load 8ohms.

imagem1-3.jpg

Doesn't R3-4 need to be 33 Ohm and not 330 Ohm?

I did this amplifier based on the Elektor initial HEXFET version. To use the same version with IRFP240 and IRFP9240 on +/- 43V supply, one has simply to add one Miller-caps at the T8 and T9 from base to collector, 220p each, and a 22nF across R31 to get it stable.
All other mods have significant impact on the SNR performance, even the proposed 20k on T8 and T9 to ground.

I did this amplifier based on the Elektor initial HEXFET version. To use the same version with IRFP240 and IRFP9240 on +/- 43V supply, one has simply to add one Miller-caps at the T8 and T9 from base to collector, 220p each, and a 22nF across R31 to get it stable.
All other mods have significant impact on the SNR performance, even the proposed 20k on T8 and T9 to ground.

Did you made only the mod with the 22nF?

Did you made only the mod with the 22nF?

Finally, I removed the 22nF and the amp keeps still stable, again important are just these two Miller caps to move the gain of the oscillation frequency <1. Hence, the 20k resistors “damage” the design principle of this type of amp.

All other components are kept the same as proposed by Elektor in its initial Hexfet 540/9540 version. Be sure you have equal! components as described in the Elektor article.

My comments to the other modes given in the thread vs. stability:
a.) Changing the “gate stoppers” to higher values does not help a lot, just slowing down the slew-rate
b.) Changing the current feed-back on (R25,R28) has just influence on the open loop gain, but not on the gain at the oscillation frequency.
c.) Changing the bias current of the input diff-pairs from 2mA to 4mA ok, will have positive effect on the Miller caps, but not necessary.
d.) Changing the band limiting network in the input diff pairs ok, will have positive effects on the gain at the oscillation frequency, but not necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.