Arcam A60

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.
I need your help. What is the funtion of R51//C27 and C30.
Thank.
Geirin.

Attachments

• arcam a60.jpg
    arcam a60.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 724
Hi,

regarding c30 it look like that it's a simple compensation cap..........but the its function is more complex:

Arcam c60 has a quasi-complementary final stage because it uses
a npn bjt Q21 (a very slow 2n3055) instead of a pnp.
Mr. Curtis (the designer), for giving a functionality near to a fully-complementary design, has put D3 in the schematics.
Q19 , D3 and the 82 ohm resistor near it should recreate (in theory...) the Q20 and q16 series Vbe non-linearity.
The q20 and q16 darlintong has the q20 velocity (velocity ? ........
velocity is a big word for an 2n3055 !) , the complementary pair for the negative side has the velocity (hem....slowing) of Q21 (an other 2n3055).
When Q21 is on C30 isn't necessary (but helps.......) because the velocity near to the darlintong is given by D3, but when Q21 is off (for positive output voltages) C30 is very important because , in this case, D3 is off (the D3's current is complemetary to q20 base junction current.........) and C30 gives a velocity to the reopen Q21 near to Q20 velocity.

Kind regards,
ppa

PS: Hi guys ! I have some old 2n3055 , I give you for free...............(only shipping cost).........I joke.........I have just given they to my friend......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................for free!

Hi,

I repeat with correct typing

regarding c30 it look like that it's a simple compensation cap..........but the its function is more complex:

Arcam c60 has a quasi-complementary final stage because it uses
a npn bjt Q21 (a very slow 2n3055) instead of a pnp.
Mr. Curtis (the designer), for giving a functionality near to a
fully-complementary design, has put D3 in the schematics.
Q19 , D3 and the 82 ohm resistor near it should recreate
(in theory...) the Q20 and q16 series Vbe non-linearity.

The q20 and q16 darlintong has the q20 velocity (velocity ? ......
velocity is a big word for an 2n3055 !) , the complementary pair for the negative side has the velocity (hem....slowing) of Q21 (an
other 2n3055).
When Q21 is on C30 isn't necessary (but helps.......) because the
velocity near to the darlintong is given by D3, but when Q21 is off
(for positive output voltages) C30 is very important because , in
this case, D3 is off (the D3's current is complemetary to q20 base junction current.........) and C30 gives a velocity to the reopen
Q21 near to Q20 velocity.

Kind regards,
ppa

PS: Hi guys ! I have some old 2n3055 , I give you for free...............(only shipping cost).........I joke.........I have just
given they to a my
friend.................for free!

Hi all,

It's a good idea, but I council you the mj15024 and mje243/2 for the drivers.
you could add the a60's c30 in your amp schematic in the same a60 position.
Could you send us your amp's schematic with more hight resolution ?, because I don't see it very well, please.

Jim, you is right , Mr. Curtis has not designed the arcam A60.
cheer
Pier Paolo

big jim said:
hi all i have one or two points to make about the A60.
1 jaycee. Every time i look at R50 i shudder.[ WHY ] the resistor keeps the base.s of the drivers 2.1 volts apart.
And as the A60 was designed in 1976 and proven to very reliable
Why shudder.

How is thermal compensation done? It seems to me that it isn't. Even in 1976, a single BC546 and two resistors to form a proper VBE multiplier can't have been that expensive. Even some power diodes mounted on the heatsink is better than relying on the current through this resistor to remain stable.

It is however remarkable that these amps have lasted as long as they have. I can't be too critical of Arcam.. I like a lot of their stuff :)

I have make some english errors, I repeat:

the resistance current depends by this transitor Vbe only.

regards
Pier Paolo

PS: I have made a amplifier with a smilar system , I have used a triple darlintong , but , like I have supposed, the amplifier gone well , without any problems, and the sound it was fine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.