Rectifier vs. 1N4007 or 1N5406 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2003, 09:04 AM   #1
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: India
Default Rectifier vs. 1N4007 or 1N5406

Diode dilemna: Which one?

You know, those little black ones with a silver strip. Come in three sizes - pint, half and full - 1A, 3A and 6A. Apart from lead thickness and diameter, very little to tell them apart.

Or the monolithic bridge rectifier. 4 leads, no PCB required. cost 15x a set of the above 4 diodes.

No schottky (?) or ultrafast types available around this side, unless you drive a Rolls Royce.

Which would be a better choice for audio?

All related threads talk about schottkys compared to a standard bridge, I guess it's only in India that we have to still deal with soldering diodes into a circuit board.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 09:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
ashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 3RS
Default Rectifiers

Hi Sangram,
We do get the potted bridge rectifiers 2 amps and above. The larger ones having a metal base that can be bolted down to a heat sink. Even the high speed diodes are available though I am not sure of the part numbers. At least one shop here in Chennai ships parts to other cities. Maybe you should check with parts dealers in Mumbai. There maybe a minimum quantity required for each order. Better if you all get together and order so that the value will be high. Fast diodes are more expensive but still affordable - check Mumbai prices. Elektor or EFY should be helpful.

I use 1000nF 630V across all power supply diodes. These will hopefully cut down the RF hash generated by the diodes. I have not yet tried the faster diodes.

Has anyone on this forum compared standard diodes against the exotic diodes and found a significant improvement in sound ?
Cheers.
__________________
AM
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 10:18 AM   #3
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: India
Default Re: Rectifiers

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
Hi Sangram,
We do get the potted bridge rectifiers 2 amps and above. The larger ones having a metal base that can be bolted down to a heat sink. Even the high speed diodes are available though I am not sure of the part numbers. At least one shop here in Chennai ships parts to other cities.
Address, please? email? We do get potted rectifiers, but I wanted to know if they are better than hand-soldering 1N4007 onto breadboards.

Quote:
Better if you all get together and order so that the value will be high.
There's one of me. Everybody else is doing 1N4007 etc. - they can hear the lyrics, so what else matters? Nobody's into high-resolution audio. Schottkys cost a few hundred each.

Bridges are affordable but I doubt any improvements over the regular stuff I am using, apart from convenience and flash. Which was the point of the post.

Quote:
I use 1000nF 630V across all power supply diodes. These will hopefully cut down the RF hash generated by the diodes. I have not yet tried the faster diodes.
Had done once, long ago, but not carefully listened for improvements. Will repeat experiment, I am making a dual rectifier amp so it will be easy to compare left and right - one with, one without the snubbers. Isn't 1000nF too large? I thought maybe 100 nF at most, it's RF after all. I would favour even smaller stuff - 10nF may be sufficient.

Quote:
Has anyone on this forum compared standard diodes against the exotic diodes and found a significant improvement in sound? Cheers.
Yes. Apparently there was significant improvement. There are extensive oscilloscope results, etc. But they were talking about FREDs and HEXFREDs, schottkys etc. Not standard vs exotic discrete diodes, but bridge rectifiers (monolithic) vs. exotics.

  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 10:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
ashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 3RS
Default 1nF

That should have read 1nF ( 1000pF ).
Cheers.
__________________
AM
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 10:25 AM   #5
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: India
Missed by a minute...
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 11:25 AM   #6
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member
 
peranders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Rectifiers

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
I use 1000nF 630V across all power supply diodes. These will hopefully cut down the RF hash generated by the diodes. I have not yet tried the faster diodes.
There is no need for high voltage diodes. Use caps with voltage rating 50-100% over the actual voltage.

I use 100 nF/ 63 V in low voltage applications.

BTW: Rectifiers bridges are NOT monolithic, just four chips inside the can.
__________________
/Per-Anders (my first name) or P-A as my friends call me
Super Regulator SSR03 Group buy
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 11:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Default Rectifier bypass

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

There is no need for high voltage diodes. Use caps with voltage rating 50-100% over the actual voltage.

I use 100 nF/ 63 V in low voltage applications.

BTW: Rectifiers bridges are NOT monolithic, just four chips inside the can.
Some time ago, when fast and Schottky diodes were becoming fashionable, Pete Goudreau commented on some tests he made using small resistors in series with the small capacitors to filter the diodes, getting similar results (soundwise) to fast rectifiers.


Carlos
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 03:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
ashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 3RS
Default Snubbers

Hi Carlos,
Any idea what values of resistors and capacitors were used?
cheers.
__________________
AM
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 10:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Default Re: Snubbers

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok

Any idea what values of resistors and capacitors were used?
Can't remember too well, but the caps were 47n. The resistors were low value ones, probably 100 or 200 ohms, but I'm not sure.

What I do remember is that Goudreau claimed that regular diodes with these snubbers sounded as good a fast ones. And I thought that it might be a good thing to try on regular high amp bridges in power amps, instead of using Hexfreds.

There was an article on the The Audio Amateur on snubbers that also researched this matter.


Carlos
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2003, 10:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Default Re: Re: Snubbers

Quote:
Originally posted by carlmart


Can't remember too well, but the caps were 47n. The resistors were low value ones, probably 100 or 200 ohms, but I'm not sure.

What I do remember is that Goudreau claimed that regular diodes with these snubbers sounded as good a fast ones. And I thought that it might be a good thing to try on regular high amp bridges in power amps, instead of using Hexfreds.

There was an article on the The Audio Amateur on snubbers that also researched this matter.


Carlos

http://www.hagtech.com/pdf/snubber.pdf
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bridge rectifier vs Full wave rectifier hilbert_mostert Tubes / Valves 4 28th April 2009 08:26 PM
6CJ3 rectifier or 6D22S rectifier 56oval Tubes / Valves 10 19th April 2007 09:48 AM
Anybody heard about Tarzian Silicon Rectifier for Tube Rectifier Replacement? zxx123 Tubes / Valves 4 21st February 2005 04:02 AM
Integrated Rectifier Bridge VS Rectifier Diodes Sci Chip Amps 11 16th July 2004 02:43 PM
replacement diodes for 1N4007 jarthel Solid State 9 28th April 2003 01:26 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:14 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2