RMI-FC100, a single stage audio power amplifier - Page 86 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2009, 10:49 PM   #851
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Right Channel:

I'm done with this baby. Listening only now. Next version will be layed out a little better, but this one is fairly compact and sounds very good.
Attached Images
File Type: png right thd.png (8.5 KB, 849 views)
Old 10th July 2009, 11:18 PM   #852
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Are those field induced hum spikes on the left channel? Is there some more proximity to something than to the right channel?
I have seen in my projects that the strongest emission point with toroidals is the secondary exit points. Try to rotate if you have some slack while measuring and see if something changes. The different level and front to back distance of toroid mounting can be giving some more filed to one side in a different manner than to the other?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fc100int.jpg (56.6 KB, 876 views)
Old 10th July 2009, 11:36 PM   #853
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Salas
Are those field induced hum spikes on the left channel? Is there some more proximity to something than to the right channel?
The two channels are layed out exactly the same. Just one is inverted relative to the other when assembled so that I could make the case a little narrower.

Ignore the Left/Right designation on the graph. The signal is the white trace. The green trace is just the card loop back. Left channel is the first post, right is the second. This shows noise at -90dB, but it's actually lower, as I have to limit the input to the card. As measured on the scope, it's over 105dB down.

Sheldon

Edit 3: I see that you have outlined the exits for the front end secondaries. Next time I open it up, I'll rotate the transformer some and see if anything changes.
Old 10th July 2009, 11:43 PM   #854
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Aha. So its a common thing between channels. So your 0dB level isn't calibrated against 1V. What is the Voltage level of the signal spike on the graph? Of course SNR will go up with more output voltage delivery, but the noise floor level is the standard bottom. Try the rotations IMHO. If you improve it enough the amp will sound softer, deeper in 3D and more resolving. It seems adequately low, but its a gremlin. That comb extending far high is eating away resolution. Got to listen unmistakeably finer each time I have eliminated a not so obvious such problem. Its worth the chase. Beautiful aesthetics and construction BTW. Congratulations!
Old 10th July 2009, 11:55 PM   #855
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Aha. So its a common thing between channels. So your 0dB level isn't calibrated against 1V. What is the Voltage level of the signal spike on the graph? Of course SNR will go up with more output voltage delivery, but the noise floor level is the standard bottom. Try the rotations IMHO. If you improve it enough the amp will sound softer, deeper in 3D and more resolving. It seems adequately low, but its a gremlin. That comb extending far high is eating away resolution. Got to listen unmistakeably finer each time I have eliminated a not so obvious such problem. Its worth the chase. Beautiful aesthetics and construction BTW. Congratulations!
Signal level is about 200mV. Not sure that some of the noise isn't in my measuring system. I have a little preamp that I need to fix, then repeat the measurements.

Thanks for the compliment. I have a bad habit of trying to stuff too much into to little space. Might get away with that better with Mihai's R-cores.

Sheldon
Old 10th July 2009, 11:58 PM   #856
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I have this habit too... In my KT-88 I got rid of such stuff by using copper foil around the toroid, and grounded it. It may well be your driving electronics, of course. What I do is I use a 1:10 attenuator and I run the card at 1V RMS out through it. So it picks up some SNR and then drive the amp at 1W/2.83V at 8R. At about 100mV in, they normally hit the 1W if around 30dB gain. Also the output attn brings down computer psu wideband noise that rides the card's signal in many cases. That way I avoid preamp and I am not afraid of burning the dummy by mistake on output level. If you calibrate the card with a DVM, it will follow exactly what you type in as level. Use ARTA. Its free and has a detailed calibration menu, among other excellent stuff.
Old 11th July 2009, 12:11 AM   #857
diyAudio Member

I didn't use the preamp on this test, just the card out, and attenuated the input. But I've had problems in the past with it. The pre, is just a little battery powered op amp, so I can feed it the full signal and have a nice low output impedance. Maybe I'll give ARTA a try, if I find the time to figure it out.

Sheldon
Old 11th July 2009, 12:24 AM   #858
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Yes. Happy listening meantime. Great speaker you got there! Keep us posted if you nail the gremlin.
Old 11th July 2009, 06:12 PM   #859
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Pooge and Salas. Looks like the gremlins are indeed field induced from the transformer. It's not the wiring, per se, as I can push the wires around with no change in the hum/buzz. But surprisingly small changes in transformer orientation make a big difference. So, going to have to experiment, but it appears I can get rid of this background, even in this cramped chassis.

Sheldon
Old 11th July 2009, 06:26 PM   #860
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hide this!Advertise here!