RMI-FC100, a single stage audio power amplifier - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 02:31 PM   #601
atiq19 is offline atiq19  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Hi,

Is it worthwhile adding some kind of mods like technics ouput scheme to make output transistors free from switching?

Just curious..

Atiq
Attached Images
File Type: jpg technics_explanation_schematic.jpg (25.4 KB, 1194 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 07:55 PM   #602
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Va.
Mihai,

I am curious about how you arived at the particular component values for your Zobel network. Not critizing, because I am not an expert here.

I ask because in Self's treatment of the matter he indicated that the resistor is usually selected to be about the same as the speaker load, with the capacitor at 100nf, and concluded that it simply worked that way. Although he tried different resistor values to no gain, he didn't mention any experiments to change the 100nf cap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 08:09 PM   #603
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
roender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I have 6ohm speakers, so two paralel 10ohm resistors are close to Self recommandation
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 09:40 PM   #604
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Va.
Sorry. I got the resistor value part. I was wondering about the cap, but realize now it is just scaled up for the lower resistor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 06:04 AM   #605
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Va.
Mihai,

What kind of package is D1 1n4148? Can't see it between the transistors in your photos. Is it a DO-35 package? I ask because I assume the diode is stood up with the leads bent over at the top, and I see that the resistor in series with it has an insulated lead, yet there is no reason the resistor and diode can't touch, since they are connected together anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 12:19 PM   #606
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
Could we use the spare diode in the output to feed a comparator and give an overheat indication? Maybe a flashing LED?
Thoughts please.
__________________
regards Andrew T.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 03:08 PM   #607
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
roender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Could we use the spare diode in the output to feed a comparator and give an overheat indication? Maybe a flashing LED?
Thoughts please.
Yes Andrew, good idea.
I was thinking to cut the power when heat sink temperature is over 85C
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 03:11 PM   #608
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
roender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by pooge
Mihai,

What kind of package is D1 1n4148? Can't see it between the transistors in your photos. Is it a DO-35 package? I ask because I assume the diode is stood up with the leads bent over at the top, and I see that the resistor in series with it has an insulated lead, yet there is no reason the resistor and diode can't touch, since they are connected together anyway.
The 1N4148 diode has 1W glass package. I don't know the code name of the capsule...
The diode leg is isolated in order to not dissipate heat into cascode voltage reference 10Kohm resitor.
We want that diode to closely track the thermal variance of the cascode devices.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 04:32 PM   #609
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Va.
Quote:
Originally posted by roender


Yes Andrew, good idea.
I was thinking to cut the power when heat sink temperature is over 85C

I was thinking the same thing. Of course, with the present board layout, those leads would be hard to access if the transistor leads are not soldered the board, unless some traces are cut and jumpered elsewhere. Perhaps in MK1.2a boards. ^\^
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 04:37 PM   #610
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Northern Va.
Quote:
Originally posted by roender


The 1N4148 diode has 1W glass package. I don't know the code name of the capsule...
The diode leg is isolated in order to not dissipate heat into cascode voltage reference 10Kohm resitor.
We want that diode to closely track the thermal variance of the cascode devices.

Is it one like this, stood up with the top lead bent over?


DO35 diode

So should both the diode lead and the resistor lead be insulated?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single stage amplifier Skorpio Pass Labs 33 5th January 2011 03:03 AM
RMI-FC100 MKII, single ended folded cascode VAS roender Solid State 27 9th July 2010 11:56 PM
single stage common-drain amplifier Music_Sg Solid State 4 4th July 2006 06:45 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2