500w power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isnt this the elektuur (dutch elektor) kilowatter from hmmmm about 15 years ago ?
When i saw the schematics Kapibara posted i think i seen this schematic .
My instinct tells me this was published early 90's (maybe late 80's)
Was a cool amp for those days (especialy combined with the elektuur preamp)

ok ra bay,how 'bout you?...get busy lately 'cause of diy intercom assy. for mug comm.

lagi ni, as for me here busy pud.......

500W into 8r0 will need supply rails between +-100Vdc to +-110Vdc.

and it's not recommended as a first timer design:whazzat:

well, it took me long taming an amp with +-90vdc rails...with oscillations (bear in mind you cannot here this on your speakers)...

:hot:

Or,

Buy two used Hafler DH500 amps and bridge them. With a couple of mods, they will also sound better. Rated at 255 WPC into 8 ohms stock. Bridged is more than double. Between the bridging and modding, your DIY need will be satisfied and this won't be over your head!

These amps drive just about anything and will do a decent job!

Regards//Keith

I built the 500W amp from Silicon Chip Magazine but it is rated at 500W into 4 ohms. I have the complete article , my notes and some pics all in a folder. It is almost 5 MB. I can send it to you if you want. My e-mail is zotcaneese@ yahoo.com

I changed the input voltage from the original design from 80V +/- to 90V +/- and I get a clean 612WRMS into a resistive 4 ohm load. I built 2 of these for my home theater sub woofers. I bought PC boards from RCS Radio in Australia.

I'm very impressed with these amps but YES, they nare NOT inexpensive to build. They are a VERY good project and I'm confident you would be very happy with the performance or i wouldn't be telling you this. :)

Attachments

• 500wsch2.jpg
    500wsch2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,440
For this kind of power, you will be paying big money on big heatsinks, lots of output transistors/mosfets, a very high current transformer (1KVA or more) etc... it will be cheaper to buy.

Also, with a Class AB amp, you will be generating tons of heat. Do yourself a favour and buy some professional Class-D output PA amplifier. I guess if you want 500W, you want it for PA use anyway - that kind of power for home use is just crazy.

jaycee said:
For this kind of power, you will be paying big money on big heatsinks, lots of output transistors/mosfets, a very high current transformer (1KVA or more) etc... it will be cheaper to buy.

Also, with a Class AB amp, you will be generating tons of heat. Do yourself a favour and buy some professional Class-D output PA amplifier. I guess if you want 500W, you want it for PA use anyway - that kind of power for home use is just crazy.

The ONLY way building amplifiers, regardless of power, makes financial sense is if you get the transformers and heat sinks for pennies on the dollar. That is, surplus. Paying full onsey-twosey prices on that sort of thing is foolish and makes anything cost more that it is worth. If someone is building, or contempating building, a big amp he's already got that angle worked out. I've been building big PA amps for years and never paid more than $20 for a heat sink (4 foot extrusion) or $45 for a transformer (2kVA). Prices like Apex Jr (or lower) can be had if you shop around or are willing to rewind transformers or (gasp!) put them in series.

:D

I built the 500W amp from Silicon Chip Magazine but it is rated at 500W into 4 ohms. I have the complete article , my notes and some pics all in a folder. It is almost 5 MB. I can send it to you if you want. My e-mail is zotcaneese@ yahoo.com I changed the input voltage from the original design from 80V +/- to 90V +/- and I get a clean 612WRMS into a resistive 4 ohm load. I built 2 of these for my home theater sub woofers. I bought PC boards from RCS Radio in Australia. I'm very impressed with these amps but YES, they nare NOT inexpensive to build. They are a VERY good project and I'm confident you would be very happy with the performance or i wouldn't be telling you this. :)

Ole_Otter:

quite interesting.....I need more info on these.....

email: hienrichb at yahoo dot com

( so much spams!)

thanks in advance

best regrds,

macweb

Attachments

• 500wsch2.jpg
    500wsch2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,973
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.