layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would anybody be willing to make a layout of the attached schematic? It's a pretty simple one. I hate to make excuses....but I just plain suck at making layouts.

***note....if somebody does create a layout, could you align the power (TIP) transistors to be attached to a heatsink***

Thanks!

http://europa.spaceports.com/~fishbake/amp/ca100.htm

Attachments

• a100.jpg
    a100.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 497
Ah, that old chestnut. The only way you'll get 100W from that thing is with it's dying breath. The performance is dreadful.

There's a load of better amps out there with ready designed PCB's. Look at mikeb's symasym. It's not 100W but for a home amplifier, it has plenty of output power, and there's a PCB layout you can download and use.

Thank you so much for the layout!!!! I have been reading up on this circuit and I've come to the conclusion, for a newbie like myself, it's something to get my feet wet with. Can someone explain the "unstableness" to me....what is unstable? does it not keep a constant wattage....do the transistors get too hot.....am I gonna end up in the hospital if Iattempt this?

If anyone has any better ideas for a newbie to build a 100 watt, ideally 150 watt power amp that is easy to build, please post a schematic...

Thanks again!!!

My suggestion for a newby is to build a lower power amp first....
Needs smaller heatsinks, transformers, and will be less money in the bin if you don't like it, make a mistake, or just plain, never finish it.

Look at the original DX amplifier for example... http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gerskine/dxamp/

Power is about 50W into 8 ohm, and 100W into 4, needs (read - is better without) no preamp.

It will teach you all the lessons you need to know to build more powerfull amps

Looking at your current schematic... as transistors or even resistors heat up, their resistance reduces... as their resistance reduces their current demands rise - 1v over 2R = 0.5A, 1v over 1R = 1A. So, if you have no way of combating this thermal slide, you will eventualy reach the point where the devices fail.

Some days back, my colleague's son stumbled upon this same amp and bought the parts. He(son) was very much impressed by the cheap and big power. What surprises me is that I gave similar advice and convinced him not to waste his time on this amp.
He was smart and sold the parts to his classmate.

U should think again.

Gajanan Phadte

Wise man learn by others' mistakes...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.