Solid State amp with output transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I too have been wondering what you could possibly gain by using a OPT for a SS amp? SS is in no way having problems supplying the required current.

I wondered the same thing... until Gary Pimm showed up with his SS amp with our OPT's and interstage devices in place. These were the same units we built for Lynn Olson's Karna/Amity PP DHT amps.(EC8010 has kindly provided some square wave tests for these very transformers in another thread)

Gary was using, I believe, high voltage devices. He claimed and I heard that the result was exactly as good as Lynn's big amps, with far less distortion.

We should invite him to comment here on this topology, because Gary is a hard numbers guy and would not bother with this if he had not found some compelling reasons to do so.

May I please suggest that if he does post we all treat him with the respect due to a super tech out of Tektronix. Something he has not had from "other forums" and I would hate to see him can audio for other folks again, due to unmanageable rudeness.

Not saying anyone here would be so, just asking politely, before I ping him about these issues.

Bud

Yes. What you gain is distortion. More, not less.

I am just asking that you query him in a polite manner John, while he shows you what is actually possible, beyond off the cuff, knee jerk answers, and no, you do not know it to be true, you just surmise it from past experience and all other published commentary. He did not do this due to stupidity or lack of rigor.

Bud

BudP said:

I am just asking that you query him in a polite manner John, while he shows you what is actually possible, beyond off the cuff, knee jerk answers, and no, you do not know it to be true, you just surmise it from past experience and all other published commentary. He did not do this due to stupidity or lack of rigor.

Bud

To be honest, what I'd really like to see are the numbers, as it should be possible to compare apples to apples this way.

Magura :)

Magura,

Until, and if, I get Gary to comment, I will only point out that what active amplification devices do in a simulated load, bench test, is quite another thing from how they respond to the actual load of a loudspeaker. Gary's findings apparently were that when faced with a loudspeaker, SS, and I do not know which SS, devices were better behaved facing that load through a transformer. And better behaved than the tubes the circuit would also support.

This is not my area of expertise ,so I will just try to get someone with actual experience to join in. May not happen quickly.

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.