Frequencies for EQ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Muddy, Tubby, and Shrill?

Sorry about that, I've gotten so use the eq's in my live gear that it's getting hard to take hi-fi eq's all that seriously.

/Rant/ When is someone going to put a real 5 band parametric eq in a audiophile amp. Talk about cleaning up a systems frequency response, that would go a long way towards actually getting the frequency response you are paying for. /End Rant/

Speaking about using live audio gear in a home system, last week my wife was wondering what I was up to when I installed a spare multi-band compressor I had laying around the house on my DVD's audio outputs. I love it, no more chasing the volume up and down all night long. (I can't hear the dialog, turn if up.... "CRASH..BOOOMMM" ahh, turn it down, turn it down). It can be hell trying to watch a movie after the rugrats go to sleep.

Works a lot better than the compressor built in to the DVD player too (can you say brick wall limiting), plus I get to turn the knobs and watch the flashing LED's if it's a chick flick.

Phil Ouellette

haldor said:
/Rant/ When is someone going to put a real 5 band parametric eq in a audiophile amp. Talk about cleaning up a systems frequency response, that would go a long way towards actually getting the frequency response you are paying for. /End Rant/

Actually, mi first idea was a 5-band parametric eq (using gyrators), the problem is i don't think dual slider pots exist at all..

Actually you don't have to use dual pots in a gyrator circuit if you are willing to live with a reduced frequency sweep range (about 4.5 to 1). Check out http://sound.westhost.com/project28.htm for an example of a parametric that only uses single pots for the frequency sweep controls.

I think most people expect rotary controls with parametric eq's anyway. I seem to remember seeing a few commercial parametrics with slide controls a few years back (Boss/Roland?), but I don't think anyone is still making them like that anymore.

Phil Ouellette

haldor said:
Actually you don't have to use dual pots in a gyrator circuit if you are willing to live with a reduced frequency sweep range (about 4.5 to 1). Check out http://sound.westhost.com/project28.htm for an example of a parametric that only uses single pots for the frequency sweep controls.

I think most people expect rotary controls with parametric eq's anyway. I seem to remember seeing a few commercial parametrics with slide controls a few years back (Boss/Roland?), but I don't think anyone is still making them like that anymore.

No, the need of dual pots is because of the two channels in the preamp... i think i'll use a 5-band but with fixed frequencies, that should cover the eq department quite well.

I have about 100pcs of 5 band eq boards from Harman Kardon Citation pre-amps if you like.The top and bottom are shelving turnover at 60hz and 10Khz, the three mids are peak/dip type.The 250hz control is good for cutting the 'cardboard box' frequency range, add a a little 1Khz for 'presence', and cut a little 4Khz for 'glare'.They require a 50K linear pot for each frequency.If the pot has a center tap it may be grounded effectively removing the eq from the circuit when centered.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.