100w into 1.3ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
zoranaudio said:
Well in our electronic journal "emiter" few months ago was presented a 1000W into 1 ohm amplifier, everything but schematic.
I am not sure if this is already patented or still patent pending mode.
Made by our people.

Who is "our people"? :)

I have designed and built an amp capable of this power. Details here.
I use it every day. With the power supply it has now, it can do nearly 800 watts into 2 ohms, so 1000 into 1 ohm shouldn't be a problem.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
zoranaudio said:
Yes, but that people that time wouldn't like this schematic can be seen, unfortunately .

I'll go out on a limb here and say that it is probably no big deal. Almost any decent amp can swing 1000 watts into that low a load - briefly, given enough rail voltage. To maintain this power at that impedance requires lots of outputs., with just a run of the mill front end to drive them.

This might do the job....

Attachments

• souleater.gif
    souleater.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 269
It was very unbelievable when on a local TV station I heard and saw this "thing" and simply I can't understand:hbeat:
I saw something small like a box of cigarettes with some fan.
And ask myself: how can this give 1000 W @ 1 ohm???
Later this Patent was presented in our electronic magazine "Емитер"
but just the block diagram, not electrical schematic, and than understand that power supply was not included into that "box of cigarettes".
Later i found that this was stable even @ such a low impedance with values 0.? said 5000w @0.2ohm continues power and plus stable, I said woooooow I must be on other planet :)
This guys (constructed /designed by two guy's) was on the TV and they promoted that amplifier in the Cinema for some premiere movie, and one of them says: looked the size, if you put standard PA amps to achieve this power you will need a lot of more space, cos this can drive (don't keep on my word) 16 speakers!!! connected on a "cigarette box"- My words: Amazing
Never done before, my congratulation.

Powertimes_2 said:
Does anyone know of an amplifier that can produce around 100watts into 1.3ohms.
It is for a sub-woofer I recently got of a friend, it is a SONY SS-WP1000.
The Specifications are attached go to page 57 on the PDF for more specs.

Thanks

For one, the Tripath TA4100A chip can do it. It's a Class D chip, but better sounding than most Class D car audio amps AFAIK. (You can use it full range.)

The 41Hz.com Amp9 is one implementation: http://41hz.com/main.aspx?pageID=130 - I'm not sure much power it gives you exactly, but this chip can give at least 200W into 1 Ohm when bridged. Closer to 400W, some say.

The Amp9 is the only one I know about specifically. It is an unassembled kit, there are more brands available. This includes prebuilt modules and whole amps containing this TA4100A.

Those low impedances are ideally suited for low-cost class D. Switching higher currents is easier than switching higher voltages. Some recent MOSFET models like IRFB4310Z allow to produce 1KW at 1 ohm with just one pair of TO-220 output devices.

Large class AB amplifiers with a dozen or more output devices per channel are very likely to become phased out within the next 10 years. Smaller ones are likely to survive.

MJL21193 said:

I'll go out on a limb here and say that it is probably no big deal. Almost any decent amp can swing 1000 watts into that low a load - briefly, given enough rail voltage. To maintain this power at that impedance requires lots of outputs., with just a run of the mill front end to drive them.

The real trick is maintaining that rail voltage for longer than a millisecond or two. All the outputs in the world paralleled together won't help an amp put out more than 100W/8R if the supply drops to +/-42V under load.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.