Newb question about powersupplys and more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new to this. I'd like to build an integrated amp with phono-pre, pre amp, and amp all in one chassis, with some PCBs from ESP or maybe otherwise. As a general DIY question, do I have each of these components respected power supplys connected to a single inlet so I only take up one outlet space, or would I have to make a single bigger power supply to power all components (phono, pre, and amp)?

Also, would there be any hum problems that I'd have to deal with concerning each of the components, like the pre and amp, or is that only with tubes?

massappeal129 said:
I'm new to this. I'd like to build an integrated amp with phono-pre, pre amp, and amp all in one chassis, with some PCBs from ESP or maybe otherwise. As a general DIY question, do I have each of these components respected power supplys connected to a single inlet so I only take up one outlet space, or would I have to make a single bigger power supply to power all components (phono, pre, and amp)?

Also, would there be any hum problems that I'd have to deal with concerning each of the components, like the pre and amp, or is that only with tubes?
You can use only one AC Mains inlet.
Common for all, including power amp.
--------------------
Pre and phono and other low level circuits could probably
use one and the same trafo-power supply and recitifier,
especially if they use separate voltage regulators.
--------------------
Power Amplifier mostly uses higher voltage
and are best off with their own Trafo and rectifier.
------------------------
Study the ESP power supply recommendations for each circuit.
Make a list, where you write down
Voltage and Current demands/requirement
for each part of your integrated system.

If you tell us here which projects you will use,
we can tell you more about how you should do it.

/halo

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
You will have to use at least two traffos, one for the signal level parts, and one for the power amp.

The more traffos you use in a unit the better the sound, but the more chance of hum...

I would go for two, with separate bridges, caps and regulation for each circuit required, or maybe three, one for each side of the power stage, and one for the low level components. You could even put the PSUs in another enclosure.

:att'n: Bear in mind each transformer you use should have it's own fuse:att'n:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.