idea: Cheap Dolby Digital Receiver Conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Sony receiver with Dolby digital. I was considering removing the power amp, cleaning up the power supply, and building in 5+1 channels of zen balanced line stage, or something similar. Has anyone here tried something like this? Is this idea even worth considering? Seems like it could work. Then I would just build a decent 5 channel amp to go with it. Any thoughts on this idea?

Should work out fine. I suspect you may find a lot of functions are integrated into one board, but you can always just cut the traces to the power-amp section if necessary and cram everything in.

Implementing the bal line stage internally means you can also omit all the input protection components without fear.

Tiroth,
I figured I would have to create some new take-off points on the boards, as integrated as everything is. Input protection may have to stay, as I plan to implement at least 1 or 2 input as "direct" , bypassing all the nasty Sony processing.

Da5id4Vz,
That's kind of neat... may be a better way to go.

_ns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.