2 huge toroids...help me deciding on a project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I just bought two huge toroidal transormers off of ebay. :nod: They are 1kva each and are MATCHED. They are surplus from the Genesis 2 subwoofers servo systems I think. I think they'd be KILLER for a set of monoblocks. So do I go with a Leach Superamp monoblock, or the Aussieamps 400 watter or even 800 watter? I know Anthony Holton has nice pcb's for his amps...which is great. Anyone w/ pcb's for the leach superamps? Anyone have any idea what sounds better? Oh, also, the toroids I think are about 48-0-48 ...so 65-70vdc supply. Will these work w/ the aussieamps or the leach? I'm looking at being able to drive even 2 ohm loads...just to have the capability ... REFERENCE amps. Any ideas, comments, suggestions? Thanks!

-Matthew K. Olson

...or the Aussieamps 400 watter or even 800 watter..

FWIW I'm currently building an am p based on A.E.Holden's N-channel design which uses a 1KVA toroid , and uses 50-0-50 secondaries to give me +/- 70V rails ( give or take ).

I would suggest that the toroids you have would be eminently suitable for these amps.
I think a pair of monoblocks based on these toroids and the 800W amps would be a nice project.

Have you tried to find PSU caps yet? you might be disappointed with the cost of these if you've paid peanuts for the transformers, I know I was shocked when I looked. You might be better off using many smaller caps than a couple of larger ones ( cuts the ESR down nicely too...):cool:

Ray

Actually, I have a bunch of caps that would be perfect. They are 18kuF and 75vdc...I have 8 of them. So 4 per monoblock...should be sweet. So, if I go w/ Anthony's 800w design, obviously it wouldn't put out 400w continuous w/ 70v rails... what would it put out? Would it be stable into 2 ohms? You think this is the best way to go compared to a leach superamp? thanks!

-Matthew K. Olson

I don't think Anthony's 800W design will handle a 2ohm load continously , I know that his 400W n-channel design won't do it without adding extra output devices ( which is what I've done...)

His 800W amp runs +/- 90v rails, so running it from +/-70 will lower the output somewhat ( I dunno, maybe 600-650w ??) , still loads of headroom from those transformers!

The Leach Superamp iirc runs 85-90v rails , so you would be down on power from 270w to probably ~200w or so, maybe even less.

As to which is the best, I honestly couldn't say as I haven't heard either ( and my amp's not complete yet.... ) so I don't know.
I DO know that the Leach amp is very well regarded.

HTH

Ray

Thanks Fettler for the replys. I don't think I need the 800 watter...maybe.. :-D but, sounds to me like the way to go might be the 400 watter amp w/ some extra output devices ... :-D I just want the amp to sound fantastic, look cool, and be able to drive insane loads. Anyone else have any opinion? thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.