to Miller compensate or not to Miller compensate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred

I know that there are many designs using gate resistors to increase stability.
Could you elaborate more clearly what effect it does cure ?

I ask because it will move the pole, introduced by the driving impedance and the gate capacitance, lower in frequency making dominant pole compensation more difficult (at least from a first glimpse).

Regards

Charles

Can I add an additional supplementary question?

Mikek,

How many 2-pole compensated amps have you built and how did their sonic and measured performance compare to a good single-pole compensated amplifier?

What advantages and disadvantages did each type have?

Curious Andy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
traderbam said:
I know what you are saying and I know what I am saying and they are not quite the same.

No...on both counts......

traderbam said:
Let me ask you a teaser. Are you suggesting that using this double pole-zero method will improve the sound quality?

No...

traderbam said:
It needs to be a bit more than "more feedback is better"...there are numerous people who have found the opposite to be the case in practice.

Which people are you enigmatically referring to...?

Have these 'people' presented hard evidence of the irrefutable kind that feedback is enherently bad for your health?

If so, please.....the suspense is unbearable....put your humble serfs out of their misery....Oh maestro.....enlighten your humble servant.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Can I add an additional supplementary question?

ALW said:

Mikek,
How many 2-pole compensated amps have you built

Many prototypes....several of the double-pole, double-zero variety by a certain manufacturer in a store near you (since may, 03), as we speak!!

ALW said:

......and how did their sonic and measured performance compare to a good single-pole compensated amplifier?

No difference......whatever!

ALW said:
What advantages and disadvantages did each type have?

Curious Andy.

Two-pole: high psrr sustained to higher freqs; low THD+N sustained to higher freqs; lower noise.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
ppl said:

One place where a series base resistor is helpful is on the Vas stage, While the Impedance of a Diff Amp is quite high compared to emitter followers this is still a place where added series base resistance can be used as a compensation tool.

Hi ppl,
I agree with almost everything you said.....i am just not sure about the last bit.....perhaps you might assist my understanding by throwing more light on the point?
cheers.

Oh...contrary to your statement, i think pole-spliting is a 'good thing'.......any tendency for the first non-dominant pole to, as you put it' 'bite', can be quelled by converting the system into a low pass shelving amplifier, (below), with the shelving zero used to nominaly cancell the first non-dominant pole.

Your recommended resistor in series with Cf is indeed 'good practice', but has a more pronounced effect on the location of the closed-loop pole, than on the shelving zero, as elementary calculation and simulation should reveal.

Attachments

• ppl2.jpg
    ppl2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 370
feedback trends

"Have these 'people' presented hard evidence of the irrefutable kind that feedback is enherently bad for your health?

If so, please.....the suspense is unbearable....put your humble serfs out of their misery....Oh maestro.....enlighten your humble servant."

There are any number of amps on the market that employ must less negative feedback and even some with no loop feedback around the output stage. If one were really in suspense, how hard is it to build an amp and vary the amount of loop feedback and listen to the various permutations. I've done, Jocko has done it, and I have heard the results of a mod for a C-J tube amp that charged the open loop gain about 10%. It was a very real improvement and surprised me how sensitive the sonics were to small differences in the amount of loop feedback used. There are even op amps designed for less open loop gain than the typical 100 to 120dB at DC. I would imagine that AD and Burr Brown had reasons for this that were beyond the "high end hysteria" that some would attribute this trend to.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: feedback trends

AKSA said:

Mike,

May I inquire, with no disrespect intended, why you go on so and clearly enjoy insulting people? What purpose? Do you prefer to make enemies than friends?

You have a good mind, why waste it with abuse and invective? You have been well educated, it seems, why not show some classical wisdom to balance it?

No Hugh.....i do not 'enjoy' insulting people.......

i just run out of patience with Mr Dieckmann, who confesses on the one hand that he is ignorant of the fact that the first two stages of an amplifier can be run in class-AB.......,

....and then proceedes, without flinching or blushing, to pour scorn on the source, (yours truly!), of his enlightenment on the subject.......ditto....traderbum.

It was for such as he that the word 'stupid' was invented...wouldn't you agree? :)

AKSA said:

A question: explain, if you will, why a second order compensation scheme is so much better. I've tried it, and can't see benefits.

Cheers,

Hugh

if i knew the particulars of the system to which you applied the worthy, and the manner in which it was applied, i would be better placed to opine on your misfortune.

Re: Re: Can I add an additional supplementary question?

mikek said:

Many prototypes....several of the double-pole, double-zero variety by a certain manufacturer in a store near you (since may, 03), as we speak!!

No difference......whatever!

Two-pole: high psrr sustained to higher freqs; low THD+N sustained to higher freqs; lower noise.

Is it no difference or the later? Are both of these replies in response to measured difference between single pole and double pole amplifiers? Could you clarify want you meant?

Is there some reason that the commercial amps with the double pole double zero you mention are anonymous. Is this a design secret that they don't want in the public domain, an invitation for the curious to try and figure out what manufacturer, or some other reason that remains a mystery to me at present? I would think such a proponent of this approach would be eager to point to an example of its commercial success. Why the big secret?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: Do you ever shut up?

Jocko Homo said:
Do you ever build anything, or are you just entralled by the sound of your own voice?

Have you always been this annoying, or did you have to work hard at it for years like the rest of us.

Enquiring minds want to know. It might be a more enjoyable read than the constant stream of references to old JAES and IEEE articles.

Cheers.

Jocko

:D :D :rolleyes:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Enquiring minds want to know. It might be a more enjoyable read than the constant stream of references to old JAES and IEEE articles.

Oh, I see...just me cupper...

How much headwind does he want?

Wait a minute..Fred, Jocko + Frank?

Just add Eric and you have yourself a sinbin recipe...:goodbad:

It was for such as he that the word 'stupid' was invented...wouldn't you agree?

But of course....:rolleyes:

Cheers,;)

why all the small i's

"..i am done with Mr. Dieckmann...."

I just tried to ask a few simple questions with no real malice. You would no doubt reply if I was to trade barbs, but everyone is tired of that and if you won't take the time to insult me in Latin anymore, so what fun is it?

I meant to ask if the no difference referred to the sonics and not the measurements. I still don't see what the secret is about which commercial amp(s) uses the double pole double zero topology and am interested, as are others, I would imagine.

Will someone else ask, since I have been boycotted despite my real efforts to drag this out of the mud and up to the level of civil discourse. I will try to be even more sensitive and leave out anything that could be misconstrued as malicious in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.