LM4702 reference design note 1490 - ideal 1st amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spasticteapot said:
I'm looking to build my first proper solid-state (non-chipamp) amplifier, and the LM4702 looks like a good starting point.

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1490.pdf

I'm thinking of building an exact copy, but with four channels, and using a 30-0-30 transformer for lower voltage rails and power output.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

Hi,
Goto Chip Amps >LME49810 - a new cousin for LM4702 thread and you will get lot of information

Regards KC

Might want to try the LME49810, mono so easier to layout a board. Seems to be easier to get fully stable too. The mono version of the LM4702 is not far away from release. Also might be easier to work with. Laying out a stereo board can be a little bit of a pain. IF you use Darlington devices, don't try to use more than one device per side in the output stage or you may never get it stable.

-SL

SpittinLLama said:
Might want to try the LME49810, mono so easier to layout a board. Seems to be easier to get fully stable too. The mono version of the LM4702 is not far away from release. Also might be easier to work with. Laying out a stereo board can be a little bit of a pain. IF you use Darlington devices, don't try to use more than one device per side in the output stage or you may never get it stable.

-SL

I won't. I'm following the reference design to the letter, aside from decreasing the voltage rails (which I have been told won't cause any problems aside from a lower power output.)

Hey Spasticteapot, did this ever work out? I'm doing almost exactly the same thing.

I've got a bunch of chip amps laying around, knocked together a dual LM3886 (sounds alright) and am now doing an LM4702 + STD03 pair, or 2SB1560/2SD2390.

Was wondering about issues like:
1. Stability (board layout and other factors)
2. Current limit of OP stage (STD03=15A, 2SB/D=10A) and it's effect on quality
3. DC servos, speaker protection etc - what did you do here?

Just wondering really...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.