integrated amp with active xo?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping to build a subwoofer as my first diy project and am looking to use an active xover. I have two integrated amps, one which can be configured as a power amp and one which can't. Is there any way I can use the one that can't be configured as a power amp to take an input from the xover in order to power the sub woofer.

I'm pretty sure I've read that this can't be done, but I'm just trying to understand why and if there is any possilbe way around it. E.g. could I just use no gain on that channel of the xo.

I have never understood ohms etc. even though I tried very hard whe studying physics to get my head around it. So please treat me like an idiot when explaining this.

Thanks for any input.

dman

Yes, you can use the integrated amp to power the sub driver. Just plug the output from the sub crossover into one of the high-level inputs (CD, tuner, aux) of the integrated amp.

You'll be going through an extra stage (the integrated's preamp stage), but it shouldn't matter much just for the sub. You could just use a single channel, or use two sub drivers with one channel for each. You could potentially build an external bridging circuit to combine the channels, but just be aware that the speaker impedance will be cut in half.

The xo has a mono output for the sub. I then realised I don't know what mono ouput really is - I mean is it just using one of the two input channels or are the 2 input channels somehow combined into one output

Also, is it Ok to just to use one channel on an amp. I was told the other day that it was bad because the unused channel was in effect going into a zero resistance (I really, really don't understand ohms - makes my head hurt)

thedman said:
The xo has a mono output for the sub. I then realised I don't know what mono ouput really is - I mean is it just using one of the two input channels or are the 2 input channels somehow combined into one output

What Richieboy said. The mono output is a combined Left and Right channel signal.

thedman said:
Also, is it Ok to just to use one channel on an amp. I was told the other day that it was bad because the unused channel was in effect going into a zero resistance (I really, really don't understand ohms - makes my head hurt)

What you were told is incorrect. The unused channel is not connected, so it sees infinite resistance (i.e. an open circuit). No problem at all, it just isn't being used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.