integrated amp with active xo? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2007, 11:32 PM   #1
thedman is offline thedman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default integrated amp with active xo?

I'm hoping to build a subwoofer as my first diy project and am looking to use an active xover. I have two integrated amps, one which can be configured as a power amp and one which can't. Is there any way I can use the one that can't be configured as a power amp to take an input from the xover in order to power the sub woofer.

I'm pretty sure I've read that this can't be done, but I'm just trying to understand why and if there is any possilbe way around it. E.g. could I just use no gain on that channel of the xo.

I have never understood ohms etc. even though I tried very hard whe studying physics to get my head around it. So please treat me like an idiot when explaining this.

Thanks for any input.

dman
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes, you can use the integrated amp to power the sub driver. Just plug the output from the sub crossover into one of the high-level inputs (CD, tuner, aux) of the integrated amp.

You'll be going through an extra stage (the integrated's preamp stage), but it shouldn't matter much just for the sub. You could just use a single channel, or use two sub drivers with one channel for each. You could potentially build an external bridging circuit to combine the channels, but just be aware that the speaker impedance will be cut in half.
Old 26th October 2007, 03:05 PM   #3
thedman is offline thedman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The xo has a mono output for the sub. I then realised I don't know what mono ouput really is - I mean is it just using one of the two input channels or are the 2 input channels somehow combined into one output

Also, is it Ok to just to use one channel on an amp. I was told the other day that it was bad because the unused channel was in effect going into a zero resistance (I really, really don't understand ohms - makes my head hurt)
Old 26th October 2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

The unused amp channel will just be floating there, driving nothing but free air so it's totally safe.

Mono usually means the left and right channels are summed together to a single channel.
Old 26th October 2007, 07:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thedman
The xo has a mono output for the sub. I then realised I don't know what mono ouput really is - I mean is it just using one of the two input channels or are the 2 input channels somehow combined into one output
What Richieboy said. The mono output is a combined Left and Right channel signal.

Quote:
Originally posted by thedman
Also, is it Ok to just to use one channel on an amp. I was told the other day that it was bad because the unused channel was in effect going into a zero resistance (I really, really don't understand ohms - makes my head hurt)
What you were told is incorrect. The unused channel is not connected, so it sees infinite resistance (i.e. an open circuit). No problem at all, it just isn't being used.

Hide this!Advertise here!