Adcom GFA-565 Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've never tried them before but there is someone on ebay that repairs Adcom amps for $150 plus shipping. They have 100% feedback.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REPAIR-SERVICE-...-585-amplifiers_W0QQitemZ300162832427QQihZ020

While I bet they would refund your $150 if they couldn't repair your amp, you'd still be out the shipping costs probably so you might want to tell them about your aamp before you buy.

Best of luck!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi John,
Looked at the ad. I advise extreme caution.

I've repaired these amps for years and under warranty. I've also serviced these amps with exactly this fault successfully. I can't see how they can properly service these amps at a set price of $150.

Please find a real warranty shop or service facility with a tech with real experience on these. I've seen far too many bad jobs done over the years.

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi John,

I've repaired these amps for years and under warranty. I've also serviced these amps with exactly this fault successfully. I can't see how they can properly service these amps at a set price of $150.

Please find a real warranty shop or service facility with a tech with real experience on these. I've seen far too many bad jobs done over the years.

-Chris
Hi,
There is my listing on ebay and I know how to fix those amps, at list I still work for an Adcom service center.
Chris, you know GFA-565s, most of them have a leaking capacitors problem and damaged input board.
You don't need expensive parts to fix it but you need a lot a lot of time and of course some tricks (~expierence).
So for me $150 plus the shipping per unit is just enough (so far) but if someone wants to pay more.. welcome;).
Time is money, any "real warranty shop" sell its time for high price because it is "real warranty shop".
Also if the real warranty shop can not fix the unit for a couple of hours they put it on a shelf for a long time
("backordered parts" or "discontinued parts") or rise the estimate. so the customer gets unrepaired unit back
but the shop keeps the estimate fee anyway. We can spend much more time for every unit every customer and
we can fix 100% of the GFA565s. Welcome.
- Paul.

anatech said:
Hi John,

-Chris

If only you were somewhere in the states...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,
Well, not wanting to pick a fight with you. I don't know how complete your work is and I'm not here to debate it.

I'm going to guess that you don't stock output transistors and all the other things you need. Like all resistor values and caps. There is value to that.

I ran a shop for 16 years and got a handle on how much it costs to tie all that money up in stock and equipment. I am guessing that you use the resources at the place you work at (unfairly to your employer since you are in direct competition with him. I would fire your behind). I am not sure if you properly match the outputs and drivers either, or the diff pairs. I also don't know any tech that would charge out so little for doing a perfect job. Hence my suspicions.

So, either you are doing a great job too cheaply (customers win on this) and you are competing directly with the shop that employs you, or you think you do a good job only. You would still be in direct competition with your shop. That tells me there are issues with your morals.

Also if the real warranty shop can not fix the unit for a couple of hours they put it on a shelf for a long time
Only hack shops do that. Warranty shops are required to make all reasonable efforts to properly repair and return the unit to the customer in a timely manner. That was an incredibly unfair comment to all properly equipped shops everywhere. I can say that there are times that we are required to use parts from the distributor, and that those parts can be a long time in coming. I have always then requested that the unit be replaced, or that the part be pulled from a "parts unit". I want to see my customer again.

How long have you been in service professionally Paul?

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Paul,
Well, not wanting to pick a fight with you. I don't know how complete your work is and I'm not here to debate it.

I'm going to guess that you don't stock output transistors and all the other things you need. Like all resistor values and caps. There is value to that.

I ran a shop for 16 years and got a handle on how much it costs to tie all that money up in stock and equipment. I am guessing that you use the resources at the place you work at (unfairly to your employer since you are in direct competition with him. I would fire your behind). I am not sure if you properly match the outputs and drivers either, or the diff pairs. I also don't know any tech that would charge out so little for doing a perfect job. Hence my suspicions.

So, either you are doing a great job too cheaply (customers win on this) and you are competing directly with the shop that employs you, or you think you do a good job only. You would still be in direct competition with your shop. That tells me there are issues with your morals.

Only hack shops do that. Warranty shops are required to make all reasonable efforts to properly repair and return the unit to the customer in a timely manner. That was an incredibly unfair comment to all properly equipped shops everywhere. I can say that there are times that we are required to use parts from the distributor, and that those parts can be a long time in coming. I have always then requested that the unit be replaced, or that the part be pulled from a "parts unit". I want to see my customer again.

-Chris

OK then whom do you recommend in the states?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi grateful_carl,
I'd like to see a reply from Paul. He may be offering a great deal to customers. No way I can know for sure.

The obvious first move would be to call Adcom directly and see if they still have some of the good, old warranty shops on line. It's a fact that there are some warranty shops that are far better than others. Also, some warranty shops were selected for political reasons and are pretty iffy. One advantage of dealing with a warranty shop that has been recommended is that if they wrong you, you can complain and have the distributor apply some pressure for you. We've even had amps shipped to us from customers with the distributor paying the bill due to another shop's terrible work! So try to find a "go to" shop. Someone that fixes problems.

Also, I answered a similar question for some looking for a Carver tech in the 'States. See here.
That simply tells you the kind of person that might be a good technician.

-Chris

Oops. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Of course There are a lot of good and honest shops i just aware about some problem. It is what I saw couple years ago i was working in nyc. I hate that.
anatech said:
Hi Paul,
We are talking about GFA-565 service. Of course I have all output transistors and other parts in stock. It is not a big deal, right?
MCM has all of them. I don't need any other "resources". What resistors and caps value are you talking about. Three caps 220 mkf and several resitors 10ohms and 82Ohms? It is not a value.
Of course i math differential transistors and outputs transistors - this is the basic.
Do not forget i provide the warranty and i lose the shipping if the amp goes out.
anatech said:
I ran a shop for 16 years and got a handle on how much it costs to tie all that money up in stock and equipment. I am guessing that you use the resources at the place you work at (unfairly to your employer since you are in direct competition with him. I would fire your behind).
[/B]
Not right. You can not just fire someone "for competition" it is free country.
A lot of people have a second job. Whats wrong with it? Who cares about your second job if you do first job well.
Your technicians have a side work why you do not fire them? I am not employee I am a contractor, I can work for several shops I can run my shop.
anatech said:
I also don't know any tech that would charge out so little for doing a perfect job. Hence my suspicions.
[/B]
Do you pay to your tecnician more than $150 per unit?
anatech said:
[/B]
Of course i do good job if customers are happy. Why you so angry? It looks like I am in direct competition with you but not with my shop. At list my shop doesn care it. Good boss is always happy when workers are happy.
anatech said:
[/B]
I am in electronics field for 20 years. It is my background.
Sorry I just answered your questions.:)
There is the difference- You are the shop I am not a shop and i can keep lower price. My shop (boss, secretary etc) is ebay.
May be you are right. Definitely I will rise prices soon. What is the nice price for customers?
Thanks. Paul.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,
It is what I saw couple years ago i was working in nyc. I hate that.
We can agree on that for sure! No shortage of bad shops.
Not right. You can not just fire someone "for competition" it is free country.
My guys were employees. The two things they were not allowed to do was steal from me or go into competition with me. If one of my guys were to use my heat, light, power and stock to take customers away from me and the other guys who work there, I can certainly fire his butt. And I have many times. I was fair, they could buy any parts for themselves at cost. Everyone has friends and neighbors to fix things for. That and projects. I would allow them to use shop gear and supplies too. I think I was pretty good to work for. My guys got $20 /Hr about 10 years ago. I hear the going rate for really good techs here now is 20 ~ 22 / Hr. Glad I sold my shop.

So we are not in competition at all. Never were. It's just that when things don't add up, there are worries. So, if the set of outputs in one channel need to be replaced, do you still charge out $150 total? If it's straight labour, I can see $150 if you get enough of them. Also, do you wash the heat sinks? Some people do, some don't.

The only problem I have are "hacked" amplifiers. So if you are doing them right, I have zero problem with that. Not that it matters to you anyway, I'm just another guy in a different country.

-Chris

Pinout (Paul)

Sent the amps to Paul after they had been sitting at my local repair shop for over three months with the technician swearing he could not get them clean that I needed new boards (unavailable). Paul had them repaired and to my door in just under 10 days with great email all the way. Absolutely outstanding in every way...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi grateful_carl,
A happy ending is always great to hear.

Sent the amps to Paul after they had been sitting at my local repair shop for over three months with the technician swearing he could not get them clean that I needed new boards (unavailable).
And that is the better of the techs. You should see what happens when they do something creative to "fix" the "crappy" design.

Good show Paul!

-Chris

Hello all, I have a pair of GFA-565's and both have the exact same problem. Leaking electrolyte, and huge DC offset. I have replaced the caps, and the open resistors, and cleaned the board. I get down to about 6 volts offset, and the thing seems to have the extreme temp sensitivity issue. I really wanted to complete these myself, but I would like to know if Paul is still doing the repairs, and if I could get the info for sending them to him... In the meantime I will try and do a better job cleaning the boards (Last time I soldered, there was still a light smell)... I have been a tech for over 20 years, but these are the first 2 of this model Adcoms I have worked on. Thanks in advance for your time.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi audiopimp007, pinout,
Just hit his site and go from there.

I don't know them, but I do have some reservations about a number of things. Firstly, a set service rate and promised (short) turn around time. Good does not happen quickly, and good technicians are always busy. I do not see that they do warranty for anyone either. Caution.

They also troll for work, asking people to remove units from other shops and send them in their. That is dirty pool unless the other shop actually has a problem. I really dislike that way of advertising.

I don't know these people, but I get a greasy feel from them. For all we know, they may simply be high school kids performing work as seen on the web. If you are going to deal with them, ask some pointed questions first.
Are they trained technicians? Where did they learn the trade? How long in the trade?
Why don't they have any warranty service contracts?
Picture of the test bench and equipment?
What type of soldering equipment are they using?

I could go on, but suffice to say I feel uneasy about them. They are in a different country, so I am not threatened by them, keep that in mind.

-Chris

Edit: Hi Pinout, are you the person doing this service?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.