Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2007, 01:09 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Paul--tell me where to send my amps or relist the ebay auction...I need these fixed and would like to ship before I leave town on Sunday...
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:53 PM   #12
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Paul,
Quote:
It is what I saw couple years ago i was working in nyc. I hate that.
We can agree on that for sure! No shortage of bad shops.
Quote:
Not right. You can not just fire someone "for competition" it is free country.
My guys were employees. The two things they were not allowed to do was steal from me or go into competition with me. If one of my guys were to use my heat, light, power and stock to take customers away from me and the other guys who work there, I can certainly fire his butt. And I have many times. I was fair, they could buy any parts for themselves at cost. Everyone has friends and neighbors to fix things for. That and projects. I would allow them to use shop gear and supplies too. I think I was pretty good to work for. My guys got $20 /Hr about 10 years ago. I hear the going rate for really good techs here now is 20 ~ 22 / Hr. Glad I sold my shop.

So we are not in competition at all. Never were. It's just that when things don't add up, there are worries. So, if the set of outputs in one channel need to be replaced, do you still charge out $150 total? If it's straight labour, I can see $150 if you get enough of them. Also, do you wash the heat sinks? Some people do, some don't.

The only problem I have are "hacked" amplifiers. So if you are doing them right, I have zero problem with that. Not that it matters to you anyway, I'm just another guy in a different country.

-Chris
Old 22nd November 2007, 06:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Pinout (Paul)

Sent the amps to Paul after they had been sitting at my local repair shop for over three months with the technician swearing he could not get them clean that I needed new boards (unavailable). Paul had them repaired and to my door in just under 10 days with great email all the way. Absolutely outstanding in every way...
Old 5th December 2007, 10:06 PM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Hi grateful_carl,
A happy ending is always great to hear.

Quote:
Sent the amps to Paul after they had been sitting at my local repair shop for over three months with the technician swearing he could not get them clean that I needed new boards (unavailable).
And that is the better of the techs. You should see what happens when they do something creative to "fix" the "crappy" design.

Good show Paul!

-Chris
Old 29th July 2008, 07:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hello all, I have a pair of GFA-565's and both have the exact same problem. Leaking electrolyte, and huge DC offset. I have replaced the caps, and the open resistors, and cleaned the board. I get down to about 6 volts offset, and the thing seems to have the extreme temp sensitivity issue. I really wanted to complete these myself, but I would like to know if Paul is still doing the repairs, and if I could get the info for sending them to him... In the meantime I will try and do a better job cleaning the boards (Last time I soldered, there was still a light smell)... I have been a tech for over 20 years, but these are the first 2 of this model Adcoms I have worked on. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 8th February 2009, 11:56 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default gfa 565

i am new it appears i can not email untill i have posted a few threads, i recently hooked up a GFA 565 and it appeared that it blew 3 out of 4 woofers,i t appears that Paul ,is the man to see for this,any feed back on this?
Old 29th April 2009, 02:11 AM   #17
pinout is offline pinout  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi. I also can not email you, my account still under moderation, but you may order the service at ebcelectronics.com Thanks. Paul.
Old 25th July 2009, 11:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Hi audiopimp007, pinout,
Just hit his site and go from there.

I don't know them, but I do have some reservations about a number of things. Firstly, a set service rate and promised (short) turn around time. Good does not happen quickly, and good technicians are always busy. I do not see that they do warranty for anyone either. Caution.

They also troll for work, asking people to remove units from other shops and send them in their. That is dirty pool unless the other shop actually has a problem. I really dislike that way of advertising.

I don't know these people, but I get a greasy feel from them. For all we know, they may simply be high school kids performing work as seen on the web. If you are going to deal with them, ask some pointed questions first.
Are they trained technicians? Where did they learn the trade? How long in the trade?
Why don't they have any warranty service contracts?
Picture of the test bench and equipment?
What type of soldering equipment are they using?

I could go on, but suffice to say I feel uneasy about them. They are in a different country, so I am not threatened by them, keep that in mind.

-Chris

Edit: Hi Pinout, are you the person doing this service?

Hide this!Advertise here!