i'd like info on a recently acquired amp please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2007, 02:04 PM   #1
oddetc is offline oddetc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default i'd like info on a recently acquired amp please

I'm new to this scene, but pretty into it so far. A friend of mine gave me an old Bryke Home Amp he had sitting around -- not working. I've been in the process of ripping it apart and cleaning up the insides to, hopefully, get it working.
What's weird is that I cannot find any info on this amp anywhere on the internet. I'm pretty sure it's a solid state amp, but am new to all this, so I am not 100% sure (sorry if I am in the wrong spot). Here are some before and after pictures. It's still under construction as I still have to fabricate some speaker enclosures for a pair of Rainbow Speakers I plan on hooking up.

Here are the pictures

Any info on the amp at all is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 19th October 2007, 02:33 PM   #2
gni is offline gni  United States
diyAudio Member

Being new. . .please be carefull around those 16000uF caps. . . they
don't care what they discharge through. . . including you. Measure
the DC voltage across them. . .discharge with a suitable resistor and
leave it attached while working on the unit--caps have a tendency to
bounce back.

I would disconnect all amplifier circuits and fully test the power
supply. . .caps still good. . .ground good. . . discharge rate. . . load
test. . . measure the transformer. . . I assume that is what you did
in the pictures. . .

As for the amp section. . . maybe someone on the DIY audio has one. .
that would be good. . . otherwise it will take someone with considerable
knowledge to troubleshoot the amp circuit without a schematic.

Depending on the voltages. . . you might be able to turn it into a nice
chip amp. . .there are dual rectifiers and supply caps. . .more than
enough for a chip amp. Strange that the bridge rectifiers are only
being used half of the time.
Old 19th October 2007, 07:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

not absolutely positive, but it doesn't look like a "factory" amp, more like a kit amp, or a DIY, or even a prototype. construction methods for "factory" amps are a bit different.
Old 19th October 2007, 07:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks for the quick response.. i work in the automotive industry and know all about not wanting to get shocked by DC.
The caps seem to have very low power. as for the circuit board there was one wire disconnected on it...
it was the ground from the caps on the right side, which i was able to trace back to the right spot because the caps on the left side go to the same spot on the board, just on the other half (mirror of the right).
I do not know how to test loads, the transformer, etc? i feel like an idiot for not knowing these things, but how do i test your suggestions?
does the amp seem like a good one?
Old 19th October 2007, 07:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by unclejed613
not absolutely positive, but it doesn't look like a "factory" amp, more like a kit amp, or a DIY, or even a prototype. construction methods for "factory" amps are a bit different.
From what I was told there were only a couple of these amps made by some unknown company years ago.. Like a grandpa tweaker project
Old 19th October 2007, 11:06 PM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What are the part numbers on the MOSFETS? (the 'metal can' like objects on the heatsinks)

At a guess, from the model number, and from the 50V capacitors (I bet it's 48V power rails) i'd guess at a 100Wch amp into 8 ohms. I'd say it's definitely a kit or a DIY job.
Old 20th October 2007, 03:20 AM   #7
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi oddetc,
This is either a kit or production amp. I have seen them build like this.

Your output mosfets are static sensitive. Do not touch the leads anymore than you really need to. An open gate maycause the output stage to fail.

From what I have read, you need the help of a good audio technician. So, in what way does this amp not work?

-Chris
Old 20th October 2007, 03:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaycee
What are the part numbers on the MOSFETS? (the 'metal can' like objects on the heatsinks)

At a guess, from the model number, and from the 50V capacitors (I bet it's 48V power rails) i'd guess at a 100Wch amp into 8 ohms. I'd say it's definitely a kit or a DIY job.
Will it work with these speakers then?? Good Quality?
Also, any idea as to the value of the amplifier?

Thank you again for all the help.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th October 2007, 03:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
Hi oddetc,
This is either a kit or production amp. I have seen them build like this.

Your output mosfets are static sensitive. Do not touch the leads anymore than you really need to. An open gate maycause the output stage to fail.

From what I have read, you need the help of a good audio technician. So, in what way does this amp not work?

-Chris
All I know is that a friend of mine had it and it worked for a while then stopped -- he said it ran 30 minutes unplugged from the wall because of the caps! I assume it's a project amp because the wiring looked amateurish.
It did have several wires that were disconnected, but I traced them all to their original locations and soldered them back (I have a Power Probe Butane SK, so no worries with a bad soldering job).

Would anyone like some better pictures of the back of the circuit board or anything?

Thanks.
Old 20th October 2007, 04:42 AM   #10
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

What are the date codes on the filter caps? If you need to know- it's the 4 digit number below the MFD and Voltage Ratings. Chances are they will be the same or very close on all four caps.

Hide this!Advertise here!