what would people advise for my first amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I gave up on that

Matttcattt said:

ok, what voltage/ampage powersupply should i build? i want to be able to use it again and for more powerful amps, 60v?

I went through some of the same questions prior to deciding on the P3A. After trying to plan out which speakers I would drive with what amp over the next 10 years, I decided it was completely fruitless and dropped the $40-50 on a 25VCT 300VA (or 400-ish, I can't recall) torroid and felt much better.

In the future, I might try an Aleph or a Zen or a different AB or this or that. Trying to optimize my transformer for all of these unknowns wasn't worth it to me.

I have found it challenging just to get the 'right' parts, without figuring out the long list of permutations of possible substitutions, especially with the possibility of recycling into a future project.

Good luck and happy building.

S.

Have a look at that Gainclone thing in another thread. It is dead simple and just the thing to get your confidence and diy excitement going, and if you later decide to move onto something else it will still be useful for some part of your system because it is by no means a toy. Other than that, that 60-100W amp looks pretty good - straight, honest, no frills, and had the benefit of being around quite a while so the bugs would have been ironed out by now. :nod:

Beware of well-meaning people suggesting you build what is their latest whimsical fad or fantasy. :rolleyes:

The maximum for the 3A is +/- 42 volts, or 30-0-30 . I have built 3 with a 150,190 and 300 VA torroids. The 150 VA sags a little at very high volumes, but sounds great. These amps only draw 95 ma Iq, Save your money or use the 625 VA for a class A amp. I sure you will be building another. Good luck, Mike.

MikeW said:
The maximum for the 3A is +/- 42 volts, or 30-0-30 . I have built 3 with a 150,190 and 300 VA torroids. The 150 VA sags a little at very high volumes, but sounds great. These amps only draw 95 ma Iq, Save your money or use the 625 VA for a class A amp. I sure you will be building another. Good luck, Mike.

cool, but can i use the 625VA one, or is it too powerful? that way i can only build one powersupply and just connect up any amps i make. (one at a time, of course :cool: )

cool, but can i use the 625VA one, or is it too powerful?

if the secondaries are 30v-0-30v , then yes you can us the 625VA one.
If the secondary voltages are higher then you will need to modify the existing design, or use another, because that design calls for a maximum voltage which would be exceeded by a transformer with a higher voltage secondary output.

If you wanted you could use a 2KVA transformer provided it had 30-0-30 secondaries , though of course it would be a waste of money since you would only be using about 10% of its capabilities... but you'd have a rock-solid power supply ;)

the problem is that if you want to use it later for a more ambitious project , then you are still stuck with 30-0-30 secondaries , and a bigger amp will likely require a higher voltage. Thats not guaranteed, but it would limit your choice of future projects.

Ray

MikeW said:

can i regulate the voltage? a zener diode?

oops, meant to quote:

cool, but can i use the 625VA one, or is it too powerful?

if the secondaries are 30v-0-30v , then yes you can us the 625VA one.
If the secondary voltages are higher then you will need to modify the existing design, or use another, because that design calls for a maximum voltage which would be exceeded by a transformer with a higher voltage secondary output.

If you wanted you could use a 2KVA transformer provided it had 30-0-30 secondaries , though of course it would be a waste of money since you would only be using about 10% of its capabilities... but you'd have a rock-solid power supply

the problem is that if you want to use it later for a more ambitious project , then you are still stuck with 30-0-30 secondaries , and a bigger amp will likely require a higher voltage. Thats not guaranteed, but it would limit your choice of future projects.

Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.