where can i locate this part? amp related - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2007, 10:20 PM   #1
nep is offline nep  United States
diyAudio Member

Default where can i locate this part? amp related

afternoon all, im trying to sell my car audio amp, however, i need to locate a replacement rca cap before i do. unfortunately, i am having a very difficult time of it. below is a pic of what i am missing:

Click the image to open in full size.

i have found something similar on partsexpress:

Click the image to open in full size.

unfortunately the piece i am missing just slips on, whereas theirs is a complete replacement. any ideas?
Old 17th October 2007, 10:27 PM   #2
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default not so easy

I don't think the part slips on, the part broke off. You need to open up the amp and take another pic of the inside.

I bet its a 1 piece pcb mount connector where the outside conductor fell off, you have to replace the entire thing on the PCB.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:15 PM   #3
Illusus is offline Illusus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: not so easy

Quote:
Originally posted by lgreen
I bet its a 1 piece pcb mount connector where the outside conductor fell off, you have to replace the entire thing on the PCB.
Definitely, Digikey will have it for a couple dollars. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll post the part# or a link, or something, after I run some errands. Easy fix.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I go with lgreen--it'll be a monolithic assembly that solders directly to the PCB. In addition to Digikey, you might try Mouser. In cases where they stock the same thing as Digikey, Mouser is usually a little cheaper. Be aware, however, that both add a surcharge if your order is below $25 or so. Take a moment and try to think about other things that you might need so as to bump the total over that limit.

Grey
Old 18th October 2007, 01:37 AM   #5
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
get a 4 ways(2x stereo) RCA sockets(PCB type).
Old 18th October 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
nep is offline nep  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: not so easy

Quote:
Originally posted by Illusus

Definitely, Digikey will have it for a couple dollars. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll post the part# or a link, or something, after I run some errands. Easy fix.
wow, this fourm is great, really apperciate the help. ive never opened up an amp before, yet alone solder anything. perhaps now is a good time to learn? if you could post up the part # i would be greatful
Old 18th October 2007, 11:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Digikey part

It's close but I don't think it's right, although these things do follow a standard. For one the jacks are oriented 90deg off. These might be a better match and a lot cheaper at $.40 each. These are from Steve at Apex Jr.. The pin spacing may be out but you should be able to jury rig them with a bit of bending. If you post a pic of your amp's guts I may be able to track down something closer. Once you have it apart measure the spacing between the pins and cross-reference with the datasheet. This should get you started, at least.
Old 18th October 2007, 11:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

you can also try soldering the 'sleeve' to the lead it broke off from... but hooking up and removing tight connectors a few of times will most likely break it again.
Old 21st October 2007, 05:25 AM   #9
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: not so easy

Quote:
Originally posted by nep

wow, this fourm is great, really apperciate the help. ive never opened up an amp before, yet alone solder anything. perhaps now is a good time to learn? if you could post up the part # i would be greatful
Don't be afraid. Open it up and post a detailed pic of the inside piece, and look at digikey.com or mouser.com to find a replacement that fits, or we can help with that. You will probably see that its a unitary piece (as shown by the Illusus link) for all 4 RCA connectors. You will need to unsolder the old one and solder in the new one, replacing all four.

Hide this!Advertise here!