Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 10:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default plugged in 220v by mistake, hepl pls?

i accidentally plugged it in a 220v outlet. i already replaced the fuse but it still has no power. what should i do next. after the fuse, there is a heavy box in metal casing. is this the primary transformer? if so how should i fix it? is there a secondary fuse? i was able to open it but it still wrapped in a heat shield.
Old 10th October 2007, 10:29 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

what type of equipment are you referring to?
Old 10th October 2007, 10:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Next step, throw it away. I find you can buy another one for next to nothing.
Old 10th October 2007, 10:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have to ask....how in Gods world did you plug a 120v device into a 220 volt outlet?

I will second the throwing it away.

The power supply/transformer could be toast as well as every semi conductor, capacitor, and resistor in the circuit. In other words the idea of repairing it would be very slim when every component has been subject to roughly twice the voltage it was designed for.

It would be like pulling your fingernails off with a pair of vice grips. It can be done but will be vary painfull.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I'm still trying to repair something that was plugged into 220V at 120V setting... last time I tried fixing it, I learned it has eaten at least one of the internal transformers... now produceing 65V instead of 12V... guess what it did to all the chips and transistors I just replaced.

Btw... It was not me who broke it... I confiscated it from the guy who did.
Old 11th October 2007, 06:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

its just a cheap receiver i was gonna use for my pc. i was hoping that it was just a simple procedure. thanks for all the replies. the unit is an aiwa av-x200.
Old 11th October 2007, 12:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by goliath6900
its just a cheap receiver i was gonna use for my pc. i was hoping that it was just a simple procedure. thanks for all the replies. the unit is an aiwa av-x200.
Just to be curious: how did you arrange a 220v outlet in LA? It was at your home?

I do not live in the US, but on the many times I was there I never found an outlet with a 220v warning.
Old 11th October 2007, 01:55 PM   #8
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

In the US we use 220v lines for Electric Clothes Dryers, Stoves and Ovens and large through the wall Air Conditioners, Compressors in the Garage, etc. We use 220 to the house with two legs of 110v each. All of which have different recepticles. The A/C has the one closest to a standard 110v recepticle but will NOT accept a 110v plug!

The question is, who did the wiring in your place? If it was you, definitely do not try to fix the Aiwa. And call in an electrician to check anything else that has been done! If you modified the 110 plug on the Aiwa, I bet you won't do that again!

Don't fret, I remember building a butcher shop and the electricians were also working along side me. They wired one of the legs of a Three-Phase circuit to an outlet. It happened to be 160 volts or so. He then asked to borrow my circular saw to cut plywood to mount a panel. SPARKS everywhere. Have you ever had fried Circular Saw? It is disgusting and the smell!

And that was done by a Commercial Electrician.

BTW, I ate the saw (not literally but...). I had to buy a new one, he was gone!

Regards//Keith
Old 11th October 2007, 03:58 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

There are states in Brazil that also are 220v. But most are 110v/60Hz.

At home we have 3-phase 110v, so you can arrange 110v or 220v.

What I did was use completely different receptacles for the AC slots which were 220v.

The 3-phase allow me to separate the noisy phases from the silent ones, particularly those for audio or video.
Old 11th October 2007, 04:21 PM   #10
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
three phase are normally at 120degrees phase angle to each other. This results in sqrt(3) voltage multiplication factor going across two phases.

Two phase is usually 180degrees phase angle between each. This results in 2times voltage factor across the phases.

110Vac would be 220Vac across two phases of a two phase supply or 190Vac across two phases of a three phase supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!