plugged in 220v by mistake, hepl pls?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i accidentally plugged it in a 220v outlet. i already replaced the fuse but it still has no power. what should i do next. after the fuse, there is a heavy box in metal casing. is this the primary transformer? if so how should i fix it? is there a secondary fuse? i was able to open it but it still wrapped in a heat shield.

I have to ask....how in Gods world did you plug a 120v device into a 220 volt outlet?

I will second the throwing it away.

The power supply/transformer could be toast as well as every semi conductor, capacitor, and resistor in the circuit. In other words the idea of repairing it would be very slim when every component has been subject to roughly twice the voltage it was designed for.

It would be like pulling your fingernails off with a pair of vice grips. It can be done but will be vary painfull.

I'm still trying to repair something that was plugged into 220V at 120V setting... last time I tried fixing it, I learned it has eaten at least one of the internal transformers... now produceing 65V instead of 12V... guess what it did to all the chips and transistors I just replaced.

Btw... It was not me who broke it... I confiscated it from the guy who did.

goliath6900 said:
its just a cheap receiver i was gonna use for my pc. i was hoping that it was just a simple procedure. thanks for all the replies. the unit is an aiwa av-x200.

Just to be curious: how did you arrange a 220v outlet in LA? It was at your home?

I do not live in the US, but on the many times I was there I never found an outlet with a 220v warning.

In the US we use 220v lines for Electric Clothes Dryers, Stoves and Ovens and large through the wall Air Conditioners, Compressors in the Garage, etc. We use 220 to the house with two legs of 110v each. All of which have different recepticles. The A/C has the one closest to a standard 110v recepticle but will NOT accept a 110v plug!

The question is, who did the wiring in your place? If it was you, definitely do not try to fix the Aiwa. And call in an electrician to check anything else that has been done! If you modified the 110 plug on the Aiwa, I bet you won't do that again!

Don't fret, I remember building a butcher shop and the electricians were also working along side me. They wired one of the legs of a Three-Phase circuit to an outlet. It happened to be 160 volts or so. He then asked to borrow my circular saw to cut plywood to mount a panel. SPARKS everywhere. Have you ever had fried Circular Saw? It is disgusting and the smell!

And that was done by a Commercial Electrician.

BTW, I ate the saw (not literally but...). I had to buy a new one, he was gone!

Regards//Keith

There are states in Brazil that also are 220v. But most are 110v/60Hz.

At home we have 3-phase 110v, so you can arrange 110v or 220v.

What I did was use completely different receptacles for the AC slots which were 220v.

The 3-phase allow me to separate the noisy phases from the silent ones, particularly those for audio or video.

Hi,
three phase are normally at 120degrees phase angle to each other. This results in sqrt(3) voltage multiplication factor going across two phases.

Two phase is usually 180degrees phase angle between each. This results in 2times voltage factor across the phases.

110Vac would be 220Vac across two phases of a two phase supply or 190Vac across two phases of a three phase supply.

had a 220 outlet that used a standard receptacle at a shop here in the US, but it had a big red and yellow sticker next to it that said WARNING! 220 VOLTS!
it was used for an electric furnace occasionally, or a lathe that ran on 220. if such an outlet were found in a house, it could have been wired by a previous homeowner. they never marked it because they knew where it was....

Andrew,

That explains the death of my poor circular saw (it was a Sears and I hated it anyway). I didn't know that the third phase was such a big jump, I thought it was around 158 or 168 or so. From what I understand, they use the hot leg of the Three-Phase to kick on the compressors in commercial refrigeration when they are hot and have more physical resistance.

Regards//Keith

3 phase 208 is a different animal altogether. 2 phase 120/220 is derived FROM one of the 3 phases. 3 phase has 3 ac phases 120 degrees apart, while single phase only has one phase, and so-called "2-phase" is actually single phase with one side of the line inverted (like a bridged amp) giving twice the voltage. 3 phase motors are actually synchronous, which explains their fixed speeds in submultiples of 3600RPM. single phase motors are usually commutator or induction motors, or lagged phase (using a capacitor in series with a second winding). the commutator type is used in devices like hand tools, lagged phase motors are used for medium applications like refrigeration, compressors, etc...., induction motors are synchronous single phase motors and are used for small applications like clock motors, and most of them run at 1800RPM and will stall easily.

3 phase motors use all 3 phases all the time, and run synchronously with the power frequency (like a servo motor). their actual speed is determined by the number of poles in the motor. a 3 phase motor can run backwards if one pair of phases is reversed.

Hi unclejed,

I guess, I didn't understand too well.... but now I understand a little bit better!

It was a small storefront Butcher shop I built back in 88. The only thing I recall that needed special circuits was the refrigeration (walk in box, Freezers, and meat cases. Does this sound like what could have happened? I know my saw fried and the Electrician said it was one of the legs from a 3 phase and it was higher voltage than 110v. I recall he said between 158 and 168. Thanks!

Regards//Nephew Keith

megajocke said:
Isn't the wild leg even higher, at 208V to neutral? :hot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase

Hi,
I had never heard of the "wild leg". If this is a reliable explanation of that system, then it looks to me like a bastardisation of a two phase system to operate three phase motors that expect to see phases 120degrees apart and not 180degrees as in a split phase system.
Europe would never do that.

Can I presume that the wild leg voltage will only exist in a three phase motor wiring arrangement? Never in a domestic wiring scheme?

In theory if the currents are balanced there is no difference between three-phase Delta and three-phase Wye (no current flowing in the neutral).

The line-to-line voltage should be 208V, and the line-to-neutral voltage should be the line-to-line voltage divided by the square root of three (1.732).

Open Delta is an obsolete distribution system (existing installations are grandfathered in) that allows for single phase line to neutral loads via a balancing transformer across two of the three legs to neutral, and still allow three-phase motors to be connected. It was designed for light industrial use in mostly residential neighborhoods (a gas station requiring three-phase for an air compressor or a business with a large three-phase air-conditioner).

The third leg to neutral voltage should in theory be the line-to-line voltage divided by 1.732, but in reality 'wanders' depending on the loads on each phase (open Delta). On the wild leg I usually see 140V~170V (when you would expect to see 120V).

Thanks djk.

You have preserved my sanity! And that wiring situation was exactly as you described!

Now I don't have to go to the doctor to see if there is anything I can take to stop the Alzheimer's. My memory STILL serves me well!

Now about that wild leg thing... Nah, never mind, I will get into too much trouble!:forbiddn: :censored:

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.