Electrocompaniet Aw 100dmb: The Nightmare When Broken (please, Help...) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2007, 09:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Electrocompaniet Aw 100dmb: The Nightmare When Broken (please, Help...)

Since I bought this unit (second hand), everything has turned into a very, very horrible nightmare. First of all, one fuse blown away the very first second it was connected. I just changed one fuse to realize that a shortcut was the problem (left channel, being the right one ok). But this is just the beginning of the nightmare.

I found a very well-known valve technical expert, but not as much as a transistor one. Whatever, he did his best with the unit without palpable results. After him, I was recommended to bring the unit to a renowned transistor technician. He is the one who has opened and checked the whole unit, thanks to some schematic parts I have found on the Internet and thanks to some anonymous users that have emailed me the info, but the info provided is 80% away from the full AW 100DMB service manual. I have emailed ELECTROCOMPANIET and they just don't sell me the schematics, when they are obligated to do this... that's amazing! With them, everything would be, at least, a bit easier.

Whatever, some transistors got broken and, after being replaced, they cracked again. These are the transistors used in this unit:

2SC3421
2SC3281
2SA1302 (output one, and the last to got broken when being electronically measured with his electronic devices. I don’t know the name, but a graphic appeared in a monitor when touching the transistors; the other ones are surviving at present).

and 2SA1358

Apart from the transistors, the technician have changed the electrolytic condensers (the wrong channel had one almost dry and he thought it could be the heart of the matter), and the unit was playing many hours without any problem or with overheating (no more than the usual in a product of its class). Whatever and as I said before, one 2SC1302 blown away again when measuring (he saw a different graphic when compared both channels, not audible, but easily visible when watched on the monitor). He says that apart from the transistor (I have bought a very expensive Toshiba unit, about €5), the only things that could be replaced are the “resistencias multivuelta” (I don’t know the equivalent into English, sorry), with 200 Ohms. I just have found 100 and 500 Ohms. units, but nothing with 200. I just want to think that these parts are not exclusives from ELECTROCOMPANIET…

I also have read in a past thread that the binomial 2SC3281/2SA1302 is riddled of fake, is that true? I also have read that some users have changed them for the couple 2SC500/2SA1943… Could they match this model?

Whatever, if someone can get or know someone who could own the full schematics of this model, I would be eternally grateful. I still have the idea of revival this model, but the horizon looks so grey, turning black.

Any recommendation, help or trick would be very, very appreciated or even paid. I really don’t know what to do, and I really don’t want to throw it directly to the bin…

Thanks you very much,

Jorge.
Old 9th October 2007, 11:35 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Resistencias multivuelta = multi-turn potentiometers.

Hide this!Advertise here!