Goldcap for reference filter etc?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody know Goldcaps? They are these 0.1 to 1F (!) caps used for memory retention with RAM chips as well as to keep bicycle lights running when there is a brief stop. They ususally have pretty low voltage ratings, e.g. 2V.

I have no idea what the ESR of these things would be. Just wondered whether (maybe by stacking 2-3 devices), one could use them to noise filter a reference or use them as a moster buffer on the ref input of a DAC?

I tried this before I had my RCL bridge. I should dig the cap out of my junkbox and measure it, but the fact of the matter is it was useless for filtering. I would guess that the ESR is extremely high.

The 1uF/5V goldcap I tested was a poorer filter than a 10,000uF standard (not low ESR) electrolytic. I gave up that investigation at that point!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.