need amp for studio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2007, 06:44 PM   #1
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
Default need amp for studio

I just posted my studio monitor design to the speaker forum and now I need some feedback on an amp to power it. Here is the jist of the design:

I've come up with a plan for a pair of studio monitors. Using the HI VI f8, and the HI VI RT2C planar tweeter because of their incrediblely flat frequency response. Now the cabinets I want to build would be 16"wx10"dx24"h outside dementions. Giving me an internal volume of 1.64 cu ft, and with a slot port of 8.5"dx12.825"wx1.5"h would give me bass down to 32Hz so I wouldn't even need a sub. These should fit nicely on my studio table and just by coincidence fit the golden ratio almost perfectly. I would need some help designing the crossovers but I think I want to do first order around 2000hz and a 4 db attenuation ciurcut for the tweeter. please let me know what you think.

thanks
Brett R. Sanko

P.S. my internal volume includes the port I don't know whether it should or not.

Now to power it I think I want to go SS, I really like tubes but I think SS will give me a more acurate idea of what most people will here when they play the recordings. I currently have 2 amps that I might use both are technics integrateds from the '80s one is the SU-V96 and the other is the SU-Z760. I know most stuff from Technics is pretty mediocre so I'm thinking I want something a little better. I think I would need at least 25 watts and would prefer 100. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or an amp they would like to sell me or build for me I'd like to keep it under $500.

Thanks
Brett R. Sanko
Old 6th October 2007, 08:31 PM   #2
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Brett,

Look for a used Rotel RB-980BX. 120 WPC, low distortion, very musical and you can't beat it for the price used. They go for $250 to $325 on ebay all the time. Do a search on reviews. Nice for a studio and nice for a Living Room! They can also be bridged to get one channel @360 watts.

My cousin has one and believe it or not but his setup had studio monitors (ProAcs) and it is one of the best systems I have ever heard.

Or build one of the many choices that have huge threads here!

Good Luck!

Regards//Keith
Old 6th October 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
imix500 is offline imix500  United States
Proud Union Member
diyAudio Member

Default A little shameless plug...

I have a UREI 6250 amp I pulled from a studio on ebay...

Shameless
Old 6th October 2007, 10:28 PM   #4
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
thanks but your auction will be long over before I get the money. I guess I kinda jumped the gun on asking if anyone had any for sale. I should be getting a substantial settlement soon with which I plan to build my studio. I could be six months or more before I get it though. Really I'm just trying to get ideas right now.

Hide this!Advertise here!