"Classic" amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is a very general question and has a hundred different answers and I don't want to "start anything"....BUT....right now, I'm honestly looking for some ideas on a nice classic integrated amp that I can buy of Ebay just to get something set up here in a new residence.

I'd like to spend 200 - 250 or even less but would like to hear some ideas.

I used to own a Sansui AU-717 (dual mono design) that I think was a very sweet amplifier, so I'm looking for something along those lines. I'd get another one but want to experience something else.

The room is small....also I have an inclination to try out a small class A amp, I remember some that were available -- (yamaha? hafler?, can't remember).

I know the AU-717 was a very respected amp....any other ideas?

Thanks.

AFAIK, Yamaha had some designs that were class A until 15w or whatever then turned to AB. Wheather they really worked weel or not who knows. Some have said they just lock in AB, or the channels switch at differant times, etc...

Hafler has always been AB, and they don't have integrated just power amps/premaps. That said, getting a Hafler DH220/P230 and a preamp (or build one even) is doable for 200-250$ pretty easily.

I'll put Sugden in my watch list.

I'd really like to try a small power class a for a while and I thought that yamaha did do some low power amps.

If I remember, technics also did a few? (junk, probably).

Thanks, I realize this is DIY but I've done my share of that and just want to get up and running.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.