Upgrading Dynaco ST-400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Dynaco ST-400 that seems to be all original. I would like to go through and upgrade it with some newer components. I plan on replacing some of the capacitors, certain resistors and bypass the Dynaguard. I'm not an electronics "expert" but I can get by. What else should I do while I have the amp apart? Anyone have any info any problem areas that should be addressed with this amp?

dynaco update

Hello,

There is an article in TAA (The Audio Amateur) 3/83 by Bill Rollins about an update of the stereo 400. I have a copy on paper, but not yet in electronic form.I'll try to scan it as soon as I can and mail it to you if you are interested.
All best

Hello,

There is an article in TAA (The Audio Amateur) 3/83 by Bill Rollins about an update of the stereo 400. I have a copy on paper, but not yet in electronic form.I'll try to scan it as soon as I can and mail it to you if you are interested.
All best

I am getting ready to dive into a ST-400 rebuild and wondered if this article you reference was ever scanned in?

Yank

I have a Dynaco ST-400 that seems to be all original. I would like to go through and upgrade it with some newer components. I plan on replacing some of the capacitors, certain resistors and bypass the Dynaguard. I'm not an electronics "expert" but I can get by. What else should I do while I have the amp apart? Anyone have any info any problem areas that should be addressed with this amp?
Can I get a copy of the Audio Amateur article on the Dynaco ST-400? I was just given a blown unit and as long as I'm going to fix it, I may as well upgrade it.

I just found out that I have the chassis and heat sink for a 400 like the one in post #12 I am thinking of which way I should go with what I have, I gave away the output trans about a year ago, and do not know if it is worth the time and trouble to bring it to life. I do not have the driver board or out put transformer, which are essential. I have the input board and a few other parts. I am open to suggestions.

It's a nice roomy chassis, suitable to build your choice of amplifier into. Starting with an existing chassis is a whole lot easier than starting from scratch when building a new amp. If you don't have the trafo, a toroid would be a nice upgrade anyway. You need 53-0-53, give or take a couple of volts. Go lower (50-0-50) and use >1kVA and you will be fine. A similar topology driver circuit could easily be built with modern parts or you can go with something all new. The heat sink can be drilled to accomodate extra output pairs (recommended).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.