Arcam Delta 290 Sound Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

New to the forum (and audio) so bare with me!

I purchased a second hand Delta 290 amplifier several months ago and been very pleased with it, the sound through a pair of decent Mission speakers is just lovely.

Unfortunately the amp has recently devloped an intermittent problem. The sound on the left channel seems to cut in and out with the volume of the song, mostly is goes if you crank the volume up, but not always.

It isn't a clear cut off and cut in, it sort of crackles, as if there was a faulty connection on the speaker lead or similar which was was vibrating with the music.

I've checked all the connections and they're sound. I also swapped over from the speaker 1 output to speaker 2 and the fault went for a while, but has now returned on speaker 2 output as well.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this and if so what I would need to replace I would be ever so grateful as it's a shame this amp isn't working at its best.

Best regards,

Phil

Hi

Thanks for the responses. I've tried more than one CD player to rule that out, different phono cables and in different phono inputs on the amp (with the selector in different positions). It seems to play fine for a while, then intermittently the sound (mostly on the left channel) will just cut off, in a crackly sort of way. I thought it was the selector too, but I'm not sure. Also, the sound problem on the left channel seemed to reduce when I unplugged the right channel input from the back of the amp.

Any ideas?

Yes, the manual would be great thanks!

Hi,

What happens if you 'jiggle' with the volume control ?

I don't suppose you have a pre-amp or anything with an adjustable output level that you could connect to the power-amp inputs on the back of the amp (and bypass the volume control and tone section) ? I think there might be a switch inside you need to flick as well - over to the left where the phono stage fits. Look in the owners manual (you can download it from the Arcam website). A PC with line-out on the sound card that you could turn the volume right down on (so as not to wake the neighbours) would do.

I can send you the manual tomorrow if nobody has beaten me to it.

Cheers,

Jon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.