Sub PLate Amp xover mod??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is it possible to mod a sub plate amp so that it is either full range or has a higher (than the typical 150hz) crossover point?

I would like to employ the lightweight BASH 500 for use a woofer/midwoofer amp. Full range would be delightful, but extending the low pass to 2k (from 150hz) would probably be more than adequate.

thank you in advance, and thanks in general to the members- you have a great site here!

It should be possible.

You will have to identify the section of the circuit that is the Low-pass filter. Then figure out the order of the LP filter and/or figure out if it is active.

Then you can change components to alter the cutoff freq. You can find lots of info in the internet for this including the formulas for the new component values.

Here is a good start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_pass_filter

There is a Subwoofer forum on this site -- they might also be helpful.

Good luck

It should be easy to do. It should be set up with an op amp with the R value being your control knob R with a possible series resistance. You generally change out the resistors as they come in more values but by changing the caps you could have the same result. I didn't see where they specified the order of the low pass but 2nd order(12 db/octave) is most common. You will have to change one component for each order the filter is.

The number of gangs on the dial should tell you the order normally.
control knob

Digital amps are most often used for low frequency but I would not expect an issue using this amp up to the 2Khz you specify.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.