Adcom GFA-555

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a Adcom GFA-555 with one dead channel practically given to me. I opened it up and found that both the fuses on the transistor boards on the right channel are blown. Can anyone tell me what the proper size/kind of fuses they are? I looked at the markings on the fuses and it doesn't give the type. Thank you!

-claiborne

Thanks,any idea what I should take look at first? Is there a common cause of blown fuses on these amps? Something that would take out both fuses on one channel at the same time.

I gave it a very careful visual inspection and nothing looks at all damaged or burnt.

This the first solid state amp that I have tried to troubleshoot. Any quick tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-claiborne

Fuses

I pulled the fuses out of the other channel and also rechecked the blown ones with a magnifying glass. Someone has used 10AMP 125volt fuses on both channels and the main fuse on the real panel.

Are these the correct values or has someone put the wrong ones in?

Sy,

You mentioned a 6 amp, fast blow (AGC) is this the proper rating for the main fuse also?

Once I get the proper plugs in place should I try to turn in on with a 100 watt bulb on the power cable? I am in no hurry to turn this on and I want to be a cautious as possible.

Thanks!

-claiborne

250V fuses are fine.

Driving certain Infinity speakers will cause the fuses to blow, and frequently the drivers too. If the fuses are the correct value the outputs are generally OK.

If someone had 10A fuses in there though, the driver transistors are probably blown, and maybe some outputs too.

Do a search on 'light bulb' and fire it up with a 75W~100W lightbulb in one side of the line.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.