Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2007, 03:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default hooking up two power amps and a pre

Hi I just got two used nad 2040 power amps and a pre amp .I want to use one amp per channel .i don't know how to do this,can some one help me.I have no idea if they are bridgable or not .The back of the amps has a choice of 4 or 8 ohm loads,speaker connections,and a pair of rca plugs>
Old 24th September 2007, 04:29 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If there is no switch, mostly at the rear for bridge connection, then they cannot be operated in the bridge mode. U can make a bridging circuit, if u like.
Visit here

Both the channels have to be in spec condition to bridge them.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 24th September 2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Chartal is offline Chartal  Canada
diyAudio Member

There is no 2040 power amp in the Nad website.
But there is a 2240 and a 2400.

The 2400 can be bridged.
Old 24th September 2007, 02:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

sorry they are 2240 power envelope amps.Can those be bridged?
Old 24th September 2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Bigred is offline Bigred  Canada
diyAudio Member

There are no bridged specs listed so I doubt its bridgeable. I know the 2100 is bridgeable and its stated in the specs (see links below). Personally I'm not a fan of running bridged amps. The damping factor is halved and many amps don't like loads under 8ohms bridged. Depending on your goals you might want to look into bi-amping.

http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_2240.pdf
http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_2100.pdf
Old 25th September 2007, 04:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

My goal is to use two 40 watt power amps and one pre amp to get the best sound from my acoustic research 93 speakers . So if thet are not bridgable .Can they be biamped and how do you do it?I am a newbe to the community so you explanation needs to be a simple one.Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 25th September 2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Bigred is offline Bigred  Canada
diyAudio Member

Are you referring to the AR-93's? If I'm not mistaken they are not bi-amp ready (They only have one set of binding posts so you would need to physically seperate the crossover network providing the crossover is a parallel type). Even if they had 2 sets of binding posts or you physically seperated the crossover network, this only seperates the LF and HF passive networks. This type of setup can be used to bi-wire or to passive bi-amp. The other solution would be to active bi-amp. With passive the filtering is done AFTER the amplifiers and active its done at the line level. The active setup becomes rather complex and requires an electronic crossover (bypassing the passive crossovers) with considerable skills to tune and balance everything. I'm honestly not sure what to tell you at this point. Do a search on biamping to start learning and decide if this is something you feel like tackling.
Old 25th September 2007, 08:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

thanks ,Iam just going to use a receiver for each channel ,probably no sonic advantage but it's the only way to utilize both.Tanks for you help!

Hide this!Advertise here!