Sony TA212 info needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.

I just got myself a "brand new" Sony TA212.
New for me because this little thingie was passed through the able hands of a real audio "mastermind" :bawling: (pun indended).
He kinda changed lots of components with some locally (former glory) parts that are ... well ... kinda lackluster today. Maybe 30 years ago ... maybe ... but now these are just bad.

Since this baby is a cutie i'd like to restore it to it's former glory (or better - soundwise) so would be really thankfull for any schematic and/or BOM or whatever may be available.

Thank you.

Peace.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It does look very nice. I can vaguely remember these from when they were new.

Not sure how much former glory there is to restore, though. How good was it back in the day? Even a perfect restoration would just give you a reincarnation of a very old design. It was only 20W per channel to begin with, or even less according to some sources. One gives it as 12W at 3% THD!

The cabinet is far too nice to go to waste. Why not just replace everything inside with modern circuitry? Kind of like dropping a 640bhp LS9 engine into an old Corvette. ;)

Last edited:
Hi
I have one Sony TA212 amplifier which is almost 30 years old (1980) and now would like to set up it with new speaker system. Anybody knows the configuration..? I wi can have attach 300watts speakers. Is it possible.? What about series connections of 4 speakers.. Is it possible.? Please help.

Thank you.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You can connect 300 watt speakers to a lower powered amplifier.

The really important thing is that you don't connect a load that will be below the value specified by Sony which will most likely be 8 ohm. Check the user manual to see what it says. It will say something like 'minimum load impedance of 8 ohm or 4 ohm etc'

When you series connect speakers the impedance adds and so is not a problem.

When you connect speakers in parallel the impedance lowers and that is dangerous to the amp.

So series is fine, in parallel is not.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Series is the SAFE option, yes.

The amplifier is not suitable for 4 ohm loading although a single 4 ohm speaker per channel used at moderate but not high levels would probably be OK.

An 8 ohm speaker and a 4 ohm speaker in parallel is just 2.7 ohms. That would be far to low.

In series they are 12 ohm which is safe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.