Simple shunt reg - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2007, 11:59 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I remade the perf-board, placed 15pf between base and collector of Q1 (the driver of the shunt-Q (wich is a mosfet now) *and* put a cascode on top of the error amp. It's now stable throughout. Now I have a problem with my sope, it seems to pick up something at the highest input gain from anywhere...

The sim indicates a output impedance of 2.8 mOhms at 1Mhz (12µthrough the audio band. Isn't that far to optimistic?

Another point is, if you really can call it 'open loop'. My understanding was, since there is no dedicated feedback path (as in a series pass reg), but the feedback goes over the V+ line, I thought about it as a kind of local feedback. What do you think it is?

Rüdiger
Old 19th October 2007, 06:49 AM   #22
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
an open loop (= no feedback) design it is not.
Imagine a Zener fed Emitter Follower. It's open loop.

Your circuit monitors the output voltage across the resistor string and compares that to the fixed voltage across the LED string. It then adjusts the LTP output to control the severity of the shunt. Very much a closed loop feedback circuit.

Please post the latest schematic.
Old 19th October 2007, 08:27 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew,
ok, it's not simple and it's not open loop, but it's a shunt...

It surely has feedback, but I think it is *in a way* local. Since the input and the output voltage are the same in a shunt-reg (in respect to the error amp), you don't have the output devices working in both the load and the feedback path, only in the load.

Here is the updated schematic. The cfp-input pair is meant to be an replacement for those now hard to get Toshiba FETs in respect to linearity. It additionally lowers output impedance as indicated above.

Please note, that for the moment I don't have a 2sc1775 so I used a BC550 as driver. That rises output impedance by a factor of 5 according to simulation.

Later, I will cascode the simple reg shown in the first post as well and compare them soundwise, perhaps against a super regulator as well.
Thanks,
Rüdiger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notsosimpleshuntreg.jpg (50.4 KB, 760 views)
Old 19th October 2007, 08:53 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

...oops. C6 shall go to ground, of course...
Old 19th October 2007, 08:53 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi,
can you measure the Vdrop of the CCS?
at a couple of output currents, 20mA and 100mA might be suitable.

What is the lowest input voltage and still get 24Vdc on the output at each of these currents?
Old 19th October 2007, 08:56 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Onvinyl
...C6 shall go to ground...
but C3 and R11 don't??
Old 19th October 2007, 09:22 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Wrong! I updated the schematic, see below.

The ccs itself drops very little, a few 100mV up to 150mA. The lower the Vreg in respect to Vunreg, the more.

I can't check very well in reality, because my standard r-c-r-c psu filter looses to much voltage. No real bench supply here at the moment, sadly.

Rüdiger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg notsosimpleshuntreg.jpg (53.1 KB, 480 views)
Old 19th October 2007, 09:29 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

It is convenient to make R8 adjustable since there seems to be an optimum current share ratio between Q4/Q6 and Q5/Q8 in respect to regulation. It *seems* to be best to: Q4:Q6 = 1:2 -- 1:3 but I don't know why. (It regulates best in reality and has lowest output impedance in sim)
Rüdiger
Old 31st October 2007, 02:56 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

As shown, the circuit does not work properly.
Rüdiger
Old 31st October 2007, 03:14 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

You have cascode Qs 3 and 7
drown up-side down in your schematics.

Hide this!Advertise here!