marantz 1180dc issue HELPPP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2007, 04:35 AM   #1
pezza89 is offline pezza89  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pezza89 Send a message via MSN to pezza89 Send a message via Yahoo to pezza89
Default marantz 1180dc issue HELPPP

hi all,
just signed up to the site! today my vintage 1180dc amp died...the sound stopped but still powers up, the main fuse looks ok, any ideas what could the problem be! appreciate your help! Cheers, Andy
Old 15th September 2007, 05:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default Vintage Marantz on the fritz...

Andy...Welcome!
Nice gear, old Marantz, Any specifics as to when it went out, were you doing anything specific...like listening to it loud, changing input cables...were you playing music when it went out, any noise it made prior to going out?
Does the speaker relay still click on (That three or so second delay before it plays..an audible click sound)., any sound at all, hiss, hum?
Does it have any odd smell to it now?
We have several guys here who know Marantzs' in and out, but need more info.
_____________________________________Rick.........
Old 19th September 2007, 11:14 AM   #3
pezza89 is offline pezza89  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pezza89 Send a message via MSN to pezza89 Send a message via Yahoo to pezza89
Default marantz 1180dc

hi! thanks for the prompt reply, its great to see so many hi fi enthusiasts online, in relation to the marantz 1180dc issue, the song was in fact fading out about 10 seconds to go before the song ended, i wasnt playing it that loud at all, i initially thought that the cd player skipped but when i checked i realised the amp had failed. there was no odd smell, it still powers up, however the relay no longer kicks in. i opened it up today and noticed that half the outputs are in fact toshiba and not marantz - not sure if this is a problem or not? internally in the amp now i hear a funny hizz which i dont recall hearing earlier...hope this helps! Thanks again, Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!