Electrical Engineers!... i need information..help old Dx, please! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Electrical Engineers!... i need information..help old Dx, please!

Well friends, i need your help.

Brazil has a lot of “do nothing” things
beeing sold...we use autotransformer (1 single coil) having electronic switching of
relays to control the AC voltage...called AC voltage stabilizers...has coil tapes of
100, 120 and 140 volts ... so... senses the
main voltage and goes compensating the mains voltage fluctuations.... in the reality, our mains do not fluctuate this way.... the sutotransformer introduces losses, and it is compensating, correcting, his own losses to be a coil in seriew with mains voltage...a do nothing.

Now appeared an “insulator”... a simple transformer having two wires secondary to 120 volts and the primary is switchable from 120 to 240 volts.... this intends to produce you output having ground when you home has not ground..artificial ground or something alike... you can invert and not problem...the input use 2 pins plugs and the output uses the standard three pins plug having ground.

I have not ground in my new home..a more old and simple building....because of that a friend gave me that thing..enormous..having a heavy weigth transformer inside the case...you will see images.

This had not power to face my computer and the monitor refuses to work....so.... power is not so big as i was thinking.

I am thinking to use it in series with other transformers to have other voltages..but i have doubts about the power result.

Can you explain me the result of the image provided...the power expected?

Thank you in advance by the kindness to explain me that.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: gif trafo question.gif (9.6 KB, 590 views)
Old 14th September 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Transformer inside is huge... enormous type of transformer, traditional construction E plates and I plates trafo.

Secondary over the primary layers.

The size seems to be a 1.2 Kilowatt transformer...very big.

But specified as 300 VA..... and made sense to me when testing.... real power is not big.

Bad design i think...that iron could produce much more than 300 VA.

Here is one image.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the insulator.jpg (32.6 KB, 535 views)
Old 14th September 2007, 09:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Well, the unit was made with the purpose to "create" a ground to you

And to protect your computer against main plug invertions...as the wall have two pins and the plug has three...people use to remove the ground and inject those two pins into the wall.

This produces some problems, i imagine, as one of those wall pins is 220 alternated (Live, Phase)...and the other is neutral (Zero, return)

The unit has 2 pins plug into the input and 3 pins into the output.

It could not feed power enougth to my Sempron 3 Megahertz together my power audio amplifier (class D) and my electron tube monitor, the conventional Samsung.

The supply could not keep the voltage stable enougth...had losses of voltage.

So...this "do nothing" thing will not be used into my computer.

I am trying to use it to audio...maybe... and needing informations about the power i will have...watch the sketch i have made showing two transformers and help me, please.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insulator back.jpg (51.8 KB, 483 views)
Old 14th September 2007, 09:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Here the specifications.... the main package had 300 VA inform written there

You see.... five amperes fuse..and 115 volts output...that unit should give me more than 500 watts of power...but negative...have not that power.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detail.jpg (43.4 KB, 457 views)
Old 14th September 2007, 09:46 AM   #5
nikwal is offline nikwal  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Using switchmode powersupply must be nice in that situation?.. Most computers have already wide input voltage range?..
Hmm seems like my amps would work perfectly there :-D using wide input range vicor switchmodules (But they can be a bit expensive)..
But an answer to your question I have not.. just more questions..
About earth, couldnt you just drive down a long metal rod into the ground and use as earth? hmm ;-) hehe
Old 14th September 2007, 09:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Yes Nikwall... switching supplies are better...but i have that monster to use

I do not want to make it as junk, to use as a feature to block my door against be shutted because of the wind...not as paper weigth too...ahahahahahaha

I can use the copper rod....but.... building rules, laws, agreements already made, do not let us run wires into the front of the building...nor the back, nor the sides.

So...i can have the rod..the ground..but not the connection to reach my appartment.

The electrical system has a small diameter tube to run another wire together the others already into a tigth space.

Well, my dear, this is third world...thing here are bureaucratic, bad constructed and agreements are very complicated.

But thanks, anyway...at least we had a good social meeting.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg building.jpg (96.3 KB, 508 views)
Old 14th September 2007, 09:58 AM   #7
nikwal is offline nikwal  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I just come to think of it.. We use insulation transformers at work on the testbenches for reparing electronics.. It's quite strange, the old transformers from ASEA sweden are big fat azs things rated at almost no power, and there are also small ones made elsewhere that look rediculus rated at too high power to be safe.. I think it has to do with different rules in different countries how to specify when its "safe" hehe
Old 14th September 2007, 10:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default As i told you..we have the old tradition to use the "do nothing"

things.... television aerials that do nothing... looking alike a spacecraft and doing nothing.

Almost all population that uses computers....maybe 80 milions, use the AC voltage stabilizer.

Someone create that idea, and others follow...millions using and they do not know why....they just know that others use..then....may be needed... if may be needed, so...let's use it.

Those fooling things are around us...and this one is the biggest do nothing thing.

You see...i am using..ahahahhaha...everybody use...ahahahahha.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg this one works fine.jpg (23.8 KB, 441 views)
Old 14th September 2007, 10:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default The autotransformer everybody uses here

Works fine...do not disturb too much, only the annoying click of the relays.

The one i use is a real 700 watts unit.

Of course the computer works fine without that thing, because the supply is a switching one and works better than those things.

Gimmick...do nothing...unobtanium.... but it is very cheap...that unit cost 20 dollares only!

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the one everyone uses here.jpg (57.4 KB, 438 views)
Old 14th September 2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Get a secondhand LCD monitor if you can't find anything else... it uses much less power.....

Hide this!Advertise here!