Using a power amp with a powered mixer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Sunn SR8520 powered mixer and I have a Peavy 2600 power amp. I want to use them both either in series or slaved together to boost power. Is there any way to do this? I see that there is a "power amp in" quarter inch input on the Sunn, but it doesn't do anything when I plug the Peavy into it. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

KPhoenix said:
I have a Sunn SR8520 powered mixer and I have a Peavy 2600 power amp. I want to use them both either in series or slaved together to boost power. Is there any way to do this? I see that there is a "power amp in" quarter inch input on the Sunn, but it doesn't do anything when I plug the Peavy into it. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

The only way to boost the power of your system, it is the parallel connection of your Peavey in two "LINE OUTPUTS" of your powered mixer. Maybe the jack "power amp in" of your mixer it is a direct input as i think to its power amplifier. Thus when pluged a jack in it, then it is seperated the mix output (internally) from the power amp input. These jacks usually are switched. This input offered for the use of the power amplifier of your mixer "solo" and thus the mixing operation it is aborted. If you want to use your mixer and its own amplifier in conjuction with the Peavey, connect the inputs of Peavey to the Aux outputs of mixer for having a good headroom. Another one solution (less headroom) it is the connection of Peavey inputs in the Record outputs of the mixer. I don't know the Sunn, however the most of mixers offer from 2 to 4 Aux outputs (for external effects etc). It is a good solution, because you have the volume control of Peavey on your mixer. There are also other solutions, i don't remember this moment, try these two above to find which heared better and you are O.K.
Fotios

pinkmouse said:
Just to clarify, you can't use the power amp and the speaker outputs of the mixer in combination to drive the same speaker.

Correct. One pair of speakers in the output of your powered mixer, and another one pair of speakers in the output of Peavey. If you are confused (not pinkmouse) Kphoenix tell me to post an explaining diagram.
Fotios

Here is what I am thnking. If I used the Sunn as a mixer, I can then use my effects out into a small mixer that will convert that signal to stereo, run that through the Peavy, then run my JBL's from the Peavy.

I also want to run a main mix from the Sunn's main out to a monitor for the Drummer and I can also use the monitor mix on the Sunn to run a vocal monitor. Am I thinking this through correctly? It all should work in my mind, but I am no expert at this by any means.

KPhoenix said:
Here is what I am thnking. If I used the Sunn as a mixer, I can then use my effects out into a small mixer that will convert that signal to stereo, run that through the Peavy, then run my JBL's from the Peavy.

I also want to run a main mix from the Sunn's main out to a monitor for the Drummer and I can also use the monitor mix on the Sunn to run a vocal monitor. Am I thinking this through correctly? It all should work in my mind, but I am no expert at this by any means.

Hi KPhoenix
Sorry for the touch of my comment, but you don't help us so we can help you. I can't find any instruction mannual for your Sunn mixer, but only two pictures from e-bay. Is this your mixer?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From my experience about such type mixers of Peavey and from that you want to make, i may to point out some things.
1) There is no need for an extra mixer for driving your Peavey and JBLs and you may consider this pair as the main P.A. system for the audience people. Your Sunn it is mono moreover and in practice there is no profit to turn its efx output in stereo because there is not stereo in your mixer so the same will be heared from the L & R JBL. I suggest you use directly the efx out of mixer to feed simultaneusly the two CHA & CHB inputs of Peavey. Peavey 2600 has double jack sockets (paralleled internally) in each of its inputs. With one signal cable take the efx output of Sunn and connect it in the CHA input of Peavey. With a second signal cable, connect the rest CHA input jack of Peavey to the CHB input jack. Don't make the usual error to switch the Peavey in Mono (it is actyally a bridging of the two channels) via the small slide switch in the back pannel!!! Leave it in stereo mode.
2) As for the second you want to make, you may ask first the drummer if he wants to hear everything from the monitor except the Bass guitar. Because from the main outputs of mixer (these are internally paralleled) it pass the signal of whole the band. Usually the drummer it is interested to hear only the bass guitar to synchronize his Kick drum beat with it. Many times the drummer grates from the hearing of vocalist.
3) I don't know if the vocalist wants to hear from his monitors all the band except his vocal! Make a check if the monitor pot it is pre or post from the volume pot of each channel. If the vocalist wants to hear only his vocal from his monitor, then the monitor pot must be pre, because also the master monitor output in a such case it is individual from the main mixdown. Anyway that you need for the vocal monitor speakers it is a second external amplifier, because the monitor mix out of Sunn it is of line level (not amplified). In this case you can use an amplified monitor also.
Generally i think that your Sunn it is some inadequate for so much operations that you wish. If you don't have economic posibility may you are reconciled with some things.
Check all these that i wrote and tell me for further assistance.
Fotios

Fotios, thank you for your input. I know this is not the optimal situation for us, but I think your idea will work for us. We are not concerned about a true stereo sound, I am just concerned with getting the main mix from the Sunn to the right and left of the Peavy. I will try this next wekk and let you know ho it worked!

Thanks for your input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.