How to wire a balance control

richie00boy said:
It's nothing special.

Balance controls are a waste of time because they only change the level not the phase, i.e. they don't compensate for distance differences. They are a gimmick leftover from the 1960s. The less pots in the signal path the better.
The less any/everything in the signal path the better.
Just keep the bits the circuit really needs.

Wow. How frustrating it is to ask a simple question and then get bombarded by flack that I see here posted towards the original poster....
What I am doing for a customer is what the customer asked for. They want a balance control. So, from what I gather from the one or two responses to this old post is that each input must have a resistor before the input to ensure that a short to ground can't occur. Also, I see that the wiper is wired to ground. I am hoping that this is true for a non circuit board replacement (solder terminal made just for hard wire) pot that I got from Audio Note. No wiring instructions came with it, and other than this old thread, I cannot find a proper video on the web. The one I did find is in a foreign language.
Not schematic but a decent drawing of a balance control is what would me. Thank you in advance.

myleftear,

Now that, is the kind of answer expected when asking a question. Thank you. When I work in the local museum, I often get the other type of responses/corrections that are more commonly posted for an answer.

After seeing the site that is linked, it did help me with this seemingly simple issue. What I found out is interesting. The Balance pot that I purchased from Audio Note apparently is of one of the designs mentioned in the link. So, it says in the second paragraph that early Japanese designs used this 'different' wiring, and that is not applicable to the schematics shown.
Still, that is fine, because I finally have a clue as to how this particular balance pot works.
I am not interested in the sonic degradation of the added pot, in fact, if it works as described the second paragraph, it is more of a mute point (pun not intended).
At least now I can continue with an educated guess. Thanks again.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Now you make me feel like … a „blind chicken“ (german proverb), as I am far away from the expertise so many here have :)
I was looking for this too, and didn’t really found a sensible explanation what made those japanese things so different. (My conclusion was that I will—someday—build a balance-ladder-attenuator, because I couldn’t find a suitable pot!)
Glad I could help!

Actually sir,

In my experience, there are those that know way too much and tell you, and then there are the few who can bring upon knowledge without the distraction of ego. My own father was an excellent example as a music teacher, parent, friend. I do not, in comparison, equal him in this way, but still admire the gift.

Reactions: 1 user
Need for an update just to say that I was wrong about the Audio Note balance controls. 2leftears supplied a website that explained the different balance control configurations and it was of great help. At first, it seemed that the AN device was of the older Japanese design, and that was disappointing, BUT it turns out that it isn't and so I was able to use the 'improved' version of the wiring guide. This resulted in a balance control that is nearly out of circuit. So, the point being it has no sonic effect in the center position. Best of all, it is easy to hookup and works perfectly.
Many thanks for the help here.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, normally, I would jump at the chance to post a photo or two, but in this case, you wouldn't believe how bullet proof that I made the enclosure. It is a decent enclosure, yet I found it somewhat lacking for the amount of support that I want. I added at least 6 extra machine thread screws to it. Someday I will be changing out tubes, will have a chance then I suppose. Truthfully, I don't always add bolts to something unless it is not pretty heavy duty to begin with. Since, I have found a manufacturer that makes enclosures that don't need any added help.
Suffice it to say that the balance control was wired as according to the description of the 'improved' balance control wiring on the website that you sent.

It's nothing special.

Balance controls are a waste of time because they only change the level not the phase, i.e. they don't compensate for distance differences. They are a gimmick leftover from the 1960s. The less pots in the signal path the better.
Balance controls were popular in disco audio mixers.
It was easier to just move one fader than two as the other hand was on the microphone.

The balance potentiometers used in commercial equipment are not simply linear, the simplest ones (a single carbon track), have the slider connected to ground and also the center of the carbon track. In those with 2 carbon tracks, each one has half resistive and half short-circuited arranged in opposite ways.

Fortunately, I was able to wire this one according to the post that two left ears posted (and not as stated above), in which the control, in its center position has no influence. Also, to be noted is the fact that my hearing one ear is substantially less, usually requiring something to be done. In the past, I have used a volume control on the input of each channel of the power amplifier.
Audio Note claims to manufacture superior product when it comes volume/balance controls, so that helps.