What to do with these 4 consoles? Please Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This last weekend I received a call from someone who thought I might be interested in some old stereo consoles. Duh! Only problem was he was throwing them away unless I committed to getting them site unseen. I didn't want to risk losing them, so I accepted and drove 40 minutes to pick them up.

I ended up with 4 solid state consoles, all of which work, cabinets in fair to good shape. I'm disappointed because I had hoped at least one would be a nice tube console I could put into play, but no such luck. I"m not interested in keeping any of these except maybe the Curtis Mathes as it sounds really nice. Are there any parts worth keeping? (I'm just getting into building simple tube amps and always looking to save a buck!)

Your honest assestment on the following would be appreciated:
(pics at: Console Pics )
1. Zenith Model #Y946P (Chassis 2SST20?)
AM/FM Stereo Phono
(2) 12" woofers (2) 3" tweeters (2) 3" x 7" horns

2. Magnavox Astro-Sonic Model #1P3768
AM/FM Stereo Phono
Foam sealed speaker enclosures

3. Curtis Mathes Model #40M568
AM/FM Stereo Phono + Reel to Reel
(2) 16" woofers (2) 5" tweeters (2) 4" x 10" horns

4. Magnavox Astro-Sonic Model #2ST690 (620?)
AM/FM Stereo Phono
http://darrenmason.com/consoles/?page_id=5

Those speakers in the foam enclosures in the maggy console are much nicer than you would think. I had a pair of them a several years ago that i put in a new enclosure. They are excellent performers, used them with an old Marantz 22xxb model reciever that was 100 watts per channel. They have nice made by Jensen horn tweeters and 12" woofers ,if they are the same model as the foam enclosure looks identical. They dont require a very large enclosure for full extension. Used them in a car enclosure in the hatch of my car for a bit as well with just a small amp i think 50 watt and was quite amazed at the amount of output they had. I would have a look at them before getting rid of them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Steve,
I dunno, I think it'd be kind of funky cool to leave the original speakers in. 'Specially in that old Curtis Mathes, which ncalsurfer has already said he thinks sounds really nice.
Sure, do that then. I do recall that some of those console speakers have a Qt of 1.2 or higher. Not clean in the bass dept.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well Steve,
Since I also restore radios from the 20's and up, how could I possibly disagree with you? ;)

I do feel that there are some where the furniture is worth far more than the transistorized junk inside. They sounded horrendous! The tube ones were less offensive to my ear. So, I figured that you may as well make it all a DIY effort if you bothered to install a creation that presumably sounds good.

If the unit truly does have good speakers, then by all means, use them.

-Chris

Hi Guys,
Thanks for a good discussion here. Best board response out of the 3 I posted on.

I ended up posting the consoles on Craigslist. If there is no interest, I will gut the few parts which are usable and hack up the rest. I wouldn't waste my time with any of the wood on these consoles.

I already pulled the mag's foam enclosures and you're right, there's some decent speakers and horns hiding in there.

I've spent too many years collecting junk and I am *trying* to keep my eyes focused on stuff I really want from now on (good luck to me)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.