Pioneer receiver mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ! I have a pioneer vsx 1015 receiver. I can't listen to music more than 1hr. It causes listening fatigue. I think it sounds bright and harsh.
Is there something i can mod in this receiver to make it sound better or something to make it less bright ?

This is my setup :
Pioneer dv393 dvd player feeding the receiver with digital outs.
mission m32i fronts

I opened up my receiver and found 2 big nippon chemicon capacitors each with a capacitance of 15000uF at 71V. The rectifiers are D5SBA20. At the signal input, I found these chips which are AK4628V0 but wat these are.I also found quite alot of elna cerafine capacitors being used.

I agree with Phreeky.
Maybe you dont need to Modify.

Try first to run analog from your DV-939. It has a really great sound quality because of their Analog Devices DAC and 5532 opamp. (VSX 1015 uses Asaki kasai DAC and the 4570 opamp.)

Then try to fiddle with the MCACC system in the receiver. As I recall it has five band EQ for each channel. Do the auto-adjust, and then tune the EQ after your taste (set the two top bands 2-3db down in each channel)

If you still gets listening fatigue, then you can modify.

The Op amps will be tricky to replace, since there are a lot, and they are all SMD types. If you feel like it - knock yourself out.
OPA2134, or should do the job.

But I would bypass all the electrolytics before replacing opamps. Some of them you can probably replace with a short cut (you have to check the schematic first) but all of them can be bypassed with a 100nF-1uF polyester or polypropylene cap.

Nrik, wat i have is pioneer dv393 player which is the lowest end of the pioneer dvd range. So i expect the receiver to have a better DAC. BTW i use digital coaxial. When i auditioned the missions at the store which used a cambridge cd player with pioneer 1016 it did not sound bright. I remember that what hi fi rated pioneer 1015 as being bright.

I have also made a mistake in identifying the normal elna caps as elna cerafines. These are the normal elna caps. The black caps in the above pic are not elna at all.

These are all found on the mainboard
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry Buzzy
...read your players number wrong - yes keep it digital.
But still you should try out the autoadjust, and then tamper with the EQ. The guy in the shop probably did that.
Equalising can do much more than most people think.

if you still want to modify:
I would still start by parallelling the caps.
Signalbearing caps in the analog sections are the most important ones.
Do you have a schematic? If not you can locate all these near the NJM4570 opamps and in the poweramp section.
Bypass 1-10uF electro (black blue whatever) with 100nF polyester, and 100uF electro with 1uF polyester if you can get these small enough.

Or simply replace them all with expensive audiograde low-esr electrolytics of same value and voltage.

The small silver electrolytics should be allright.
Forget about caps in the digtial section

...but I should warn you:
Tearing apart a Pioneer receiver is not easy, or actually the hard part is getting it backl together, because of all these small multiplugs that carries the PCBs.

So unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing, and willing to spend the time do it: Then don't.

Tune in what you can, and think about maybe buying one of Pioneers bigger receivers ( VSX-AX or VSX-LX series)

edit: What I am saying, is that spending a lot of money on new caps and opamps, and spending a lot of time modding this mid-end receiver, might not be worth the trouble. It will probably still be better to upgrade to a bigger receiver.

I think modding the poweramp section is the hardest as it would need me to take apart alot of stuff. I would like to try to change the caps to something more audio grade, maybe like elna silmics. I dun have the schematics and may i know which caps to change or bypass ? Is it those caps before or after the 4570 opamps ? Before all these i would try the MCACC again first. But i would like to know wat to mod beforehand so that i could do it this weekend if MCACC does nothing.

Modding is an act of love. Really. And you should write down everything you did, methodically, so as not to blow anything when you set it back, or at least have everything working.

Modern gear is very difficult to upgrade, mostly because of all the SMD parts, passive and active, and sometimes because of multilayer pcbs.

Improving the supply caps, local bypassing and inter-stage caps may help clean up things, but only up to a point.

That point is set by the layout and the active parts used.

That's why I think bypassing whole sections with a switch might be the only way to do some mods. But for that you will need the schematics, as it will be very difficult to pick that just by following the pcb trails.

Carlos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.